8.00 GB Total space

3.76 GB available space.

What happened to the 16GB?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: RAZR internal memory?
ec1000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi-I saw your post and had to register to respond to you as i have just gone through the same thing. I just purchased my first smartphone ever last week (got one for the wife too). I chose two 16 GB droid razrs. When unboxing and going through the manual Friday night, I saw lots of references to inserting the micro SD card. My phones did not come with microSD cards so I called Verizon. The rep had to go and check and then came back and said that the full 16GB is already installed on the hard drive. i said "fine" and left it at that. Well, fast forward to Saturday night and I’m messing around with the phones and see that like you, I had 2.36 something GB for applications, 8 GB total space, and 7.93 available (why is yours only 3 something, have you already added a bunch of apps, music and photos?). So, I tried to call Verizon. Could not get through, every phone number I had went into Verizon financial services vm. Same thing happened all day Sunday. This morning (Monday) I got through, explained everything to the rep, and she eventually understood where I was coming from after putting me on hold for a real long time, but said she did not have an answer for me and patched me through a Motorola rep. The rep explained that, the phone is 16GB but 4 are used for the preloaded apps, and another 4 are used for memory/ram. I said, well why doesn't it say total space-16GB, and available 8GB?. He agreed that it should be like that and didn't know why the display is like that, but added that I wasn't the first person to call and ask the question.

Oh-before talking to Motorola, Verizon said, "sir, in the fine print, it states the actual storage space may be less." I said I understood that but that most people would probably think that if the phone is advertised at 16 GB, that the actual available space would be something like 12-14GB, not HALF of what is advertised.

..hope this helps you.

0 Likes
hhrosen

Thanks.  That really sheds light on the answer.  I too got the same run-around. In regard to my available space, I daragged and dropped about 4GB of music onto the RAZR.

0 Likes
strike01

yeah that's pretty much how it works,but you saved a lot believe me bye not getting it with the 16GB Micro SD card,I do recommend going online and purchasing a 16-32GB micro SD card thought.  try newegg or tigerdirect.they have the best deals most of the time.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The device DOES have 16Gb of internal space. Formatted you will have around 14.xGb. What you don't see is reserved and it belongs to the OS for future updates.

If you are familiar with ADB you can check the partitions and you count 14.xGb.

0 Likes
hhrosen

Agree. I expected that, but didn't expect 4GB reserved for RAM and 4 GB

reserved for APPAS

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

4Gb is NOT reserved for RAM. I don't know who told you that but it isn't. I think the rep who helped you is just as confused as you are(not all reps have even touched an Android device).

0 Likes
ec1000
Enthusiast - Level 2

hmmm. The person who told me that was someone at Motorolla. I was just trying to make sure I recieved the phones I paid for. It all seems a bit sketchy to me.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

4GB is onboard... The OS and system apps take up that space. This space is not accessable by the end user.

4gb + 8gb + 2.x user storage = 14.x

0 Likes
hhrosen

Found this post:  Makes most sense.

"There is a total of 16GB of internal memory eMMC, but it's partitioned into different sections (like a hard drive).

"3.54 GB is for application storage, another 3.54 GB is (hidden) for phone use, which leaves 8GB "Internal Storage" available for music, pics, videos, etc.

"I do agree that saying it has "16 GB of internal memory" can be misleading and makes it sound like you can copy 16GB of files from your PC to the phone's internal memory, when in fact you only have access to 8GB. So in fact you are getting 16GB on the microSD card + 8GB internal storage.

This is why I wish companies (Verizon, Motorola, HTC, etc) would list the REAL internal storage amounts, as it always gets people upset after the phone is released.".  AMEN!!!

0 Likes