RAZR MAXX vs RAZR
gallhiser

A few weeks ago I upgraded my DROID X to a DROID RAZR.  Within a couple days it was clear that the battery life in the RAZR was going to be a huge problem.  Even with Smart Actions and then using some very aggerssive settings with Juice Defender (highly recommended app!!), by 4 PM the RAZR would  be down to 30 percent power after only a few phone calls, collecting emails, and light web browsing.  I travel a lot, so recharging during the day is not a viable option for me - I really need a phone that can hold up under moderate usage for 16 hours.  That's not the RAZR.

So I broke down and paid the restocking fee to return the RAZR and spent the extra $100 on the RAZR MAXX.  Great decision!  Using Juice Defender with what I would consider to be "moderate battery preserving measures" the MAXX, with moderate usage is running almost three full days before it gets down to 30 percent power.  This means I could travel across country, use the phone heavily all day, listen to music, read a kindle book, and still have remaining power when I get to my destination.  With a nightly recharge, I would never have to worrry about running out of juice during the day.

So for whatever it is worth, here's my experience and opinion.  If you don't travel, use your phone lightly, and don't mind plugging in mid-day, the regular RAZR will probably work well for you.  If you travel, it you are a heavy talker or browser user, the RAZR MAXX is the only way to go and well worth the extra money.  The MAXX is only ever-so-slightly heavier and only 2 mm thicker.  If you were debating which phone to go with, I hope my experiences are helpful to you.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: RAZR MAXX vs RAZR
B33
Legend

Well that great news glad your enjoying it B33

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

good assessment, the best i've heard about batt life on the maxx.

0 Likes
Chickenmooo

Thanks for the info...I've been on the fence whether to bite the bullet and change from the Razr to Razr Maxx...The battery life (or lack thereof) is killing me....

Having experienced both phones, how does the bloatware compare?  Would you say the amount on both are about equal or does one have less than the other?  I cannot stand the bloatware....I keep reading posts from folks that say the bloatware doesn't run on their phone unless they use it...which is utter nonsense.  I have yet to use any of the bloatware, yet when you look at applications running under settings, they are eating up my phone...not to mention that unless you know to set your account to NOT automatically allow updates, those stupid apps update and use up even more resources.  With the Razr Maxx, is all of the above still an issue? 

Thanks for any light you can shed!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Chickenmooo: Go with the Maxx it's the exact same phone as the Regular Razr but with the Bigger an lot longer lasting battery you will be better off with it. Give me a few min. an i'll put on here some info on here to let you see the differences in the battery an what they look like. Just a min. I'll be back.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

here are the Links i want to show Ya! Just click on the Blue an when your getting closer to getting one Post on here to let me know an i will get some more Info for Ya

1. Razr Tear Guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-RAZR-Teardown/7048/1

2. Razr Tear Down Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INWGIA9PzO4

3. This tear Down Guide is from Direct Fix for the Razr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78gJRP8NzRA

4. Razr Maxx  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxqakPAWK2g

0 Likes
gallhiser

DROID RAZR MAXX and RAZR are identical except for battery.  Bloatware (sadly) is the same.  But if you use Juice Defender you can prevent specific apps from using the phone's resources if you buy the premium version of Juice Defender (JD).  If battery management is as big an issue for you as it was for me, you'll like the extra control and battery life that JD offers even on the MAXX.  In case you didn't know it, the new Android software allows you to "hide" apps you don't use, but, of course, you still can't delete them.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Never have used that App but the smart action app has some nice features that i am currently Using. An i can't be be nothing but Overly Joyed in the amount of battery life i an getting with my Maxx B33  

0 Likes