Re: RAZR MAXX Wi-Fi Connection w/ SSID Broadcast Disabled
spiritrider

Well, it depends on the device and the operating software. On most Android phones you select "Add Wi-Fi network" instead of selecting by name, because if you disabled broadcasting the SSID, the name will not be there. The first thing it will ask for is the "Network SSID". This is manually configuring the network connection, rather than just selecting by name. However, you only have to do this once.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

so they ask me the name, enter it, then it will acquire & they can enter key for access?

0 Likes
spiritrider

This is manual configuration, so it may vary, but that is the normal method. However, sometimes you enter both the SSID and the key before it tries to connect.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend
  • Which router are you using?
  • Does it have a WPS (Wireless Access Point) Button?

If you have a WPS button try removing the connection from the devic, hide SSID and then press button for 5 seconds and allow the router to configure the connection for you and see if this helps.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i'm on wi-fi now with linksys, wrt54g, v2.04.4

don't know, not sure where to look.

the software i use for the airlink101, usb adapter, refers to mine & other connections as ap's/access points.

i don't use wzc.

i have disabled ssid & checked on my neighbors iphone, he can't see it.

my only question was, what i had to do now, to allow access to my adult kids (that don't live with me), if they want to use my wi-fi & will have to wait for one of the kids to visit to follow spiririder's suggestion above.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

spiritrider's suggestions at 415p & 612p, are what i'm trying, when i get a chance & i'll let you folks know if it works.

thanks for all the input everyone.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

update on disabling ssid broadcast:

2 xp/sp2 devices, 1 laptop, 1 pc connected as though nothing changed.

2 win7 laptops needed to be reconfigured.

i guess xp's smarter than win7.

droid x, add...name/encryption/key.

in/out of wi-fi several times, highest connect speed thru speakeasy/seattle test was 13.9 down, 8+ up.

it was a good tip, thanks

0 Likes