RAZR MAXX Wi-Fi Connection w/ SSID Broadcast Disabled
put4doh

RAZR MAXX not connecting to my wi-fi network unless SSID is being broadcast.  Would prefer not to broadcast.  Anyone else able to make this work? Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: RAZR MAXX Wi-Fi Connection w/ SSID Broadcast Disabled
B33
Legend

In your settings on your Router if you have the security Set on it an Password for Wireless Devices keyed in Correctly it should show up in your Maxx Say like if you had: Buffalo Bill 1 for your  User Name an you had Red22051 for your Password it should look just like this in your Maxx an Have  WPA/WPA2 PSK  or something of that nature on it. I would Check the Router an see what it is on as may be a Setting that causing the Issue..

0 Likes
put4doh

The router settings are correct and I have other wireless devices connect without broadcast.  The RAZR connects successfully when the router is set to broadcast the SSID.  I've also verified the RAZR has my network credentials stored, as I don't have to re-enter them each time it connects.  However, if I disable the broadcast of the SSID on the router, the RAZR will no longer connect.  It only shows available networks that are broadcasting.  It would be nice if I could have a preferred Wi-Fi network (as in my home network) on the RAZR and have it connect even with broadcast turned off.  I would expect this would need to be set on the RAZR, but I have not found an option in the network settings to do this.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

you've got to call it something & i'd really like to know how you're connecting other devices without ssid.

are you afraid someone will try to access your wireless?

forgive me but you haven't mentioned what encryption you're using.

ssid on my linksys wrt54g router is "linksys" & i don't care who sees it, it's encrypted.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Bear i think mine is set on broad cast. But Heck every one else that lives were i do Has it on that setting.  I can See 10 others Resident's Routers that's a hard one to Say an to Interpid !  Ha... An each one of them have there Security set on Highest you can go as i can see them on my two Droids.. I can also look in on my Router an see if i have any Intruders 0 at the Moment... But i think if the Op has the Security Set tight there shouldn't be nothing to worry about.. 

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

router....intruders, really.

yeah i see all my neighbors on my pc/laptop or dx if i use wi-fi,some encrypted, some not, it's no big deal, it's gotta be called something.

0 Likes
put4doh

Thanks for the comments.  I really don't want to argue the decision not to broadcast my SSID.  It's a personal preference and it's not really the point.  I have other wireless devices that can connect this way on my network.

I spoke with VZW Tech Support and the short answer is the software on the phone does not support this today.  They mentioned that a future update may possibly include this, since others had requested this as well.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

what devices?

i've been around wireless a long time & would like to learn something new, like how to connect to an ssid that doesn't show-up with other wi-fi's closeby.

0 Likes
spiritrider

How about mostly all wi-fi devices. Broadcasting the SSID is as the OP indicated, is a security risk. This is wi-fi security 101. You connect to an SSID that is not broadcasting by manual configuring with its name (you have to know the key anyway). There is simply no reason for broadcasting the SSID in private wi-fi.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i'll try it disabled but when my daughter/son-in-law come over & want wi-fi, how do they access it if it doesn't show-up on their phones?

0 Likes