RAZR MAXX HD unstable with JB. Suggestions to troubleshoot?
duffme
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've twice upgraded my RAZR MAXX HD to Jelly Bean with similar results.  The phone seems fine at first and while in use, but will freeze and reboot randomly when not in use, several times a day.  What's especially odd is that it seems to reboot more frequently during the morning and late evening. Between 8am and 10am it will reboot 4-5 times, but then seem fine for most of the day.  As long as it is in use the phone seems perfectly fine.  It will get to a point at night where the screen goes dark and the phone will not respond to button presses or bluetooth connections, nor indicate new messages, etc; the phone must be restarted with PWR + VOL UP/DOWN.  I've tried an FDR and it hasn't helped.  I had no choice but to revert back to ICS and it was fine and stable for a week.  I've googled and asked VZW tech support, but no one else seems to be having this problem with the OTA JB update.  Is there a way to log resource usage by application, or watch activity via shell using adb?  Starting with no apps and adding back a couple a day will take weeks and may not indicate the problem.  I'll probably do it just to know that the problem is a third party app.  Does disabling an app do the same thing?

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
Re: RAZR MAXX HD unstable with JB. Suggestions to troubleshoot?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Disabling an app will give you the same result as uninstalling it, so that may be a viable test. There is also a way to boot into safe mode, which will basically disable all third party apps, but I'm unfamiliar with the process.

0 Likes
Chuck_Jordan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know I am late to the party but i wanted to share my experience with the RAZR MAXX HD. I am on my second phone now. The first HD would freeze as you were describing exactly. It did this multiple time over a couple of weeks with the last freeze lasting over 6 hours.

Now my second phone I tried to change. I used a different charge cable and a different SD card just to make sure there was no software issue with the SD and over voltage issue with the charge cable. The second phone only froze twice over the last month but last night was a good one. At 11 PM I was checking my email and my phone stopped. As a seasoned veteran to this issue I just put it on charge and laid it on the night stand thinking it would "wake up" during the night. It did not happen. When I woke up the phone was still a paperweight. I could not get a charge indicator or screen to power on.

When I arrived at work i called Tech Support. I got to Tier 2 pretty quickly. The representative had me simulate a battery removal by holding the Power and Volume Down Key for 1 1/2 minutes. After about 45 seconds, the boot-loader screen flashed. I then released all of the keys and long pressed the Power key to power the device on normally. I have had a working phone for 30 minutes or so and will update the thread if i have any further problems.

0 Likes
okamsrazor22
Contributor - Level 1

The Jelly Bean Update impacted the original lines of Razr Devices, but does seem to work fine on the HD models. I suggest you restore the phone to factory default and do a wipe/clear cache. Then install no other apps and see if the problem persists. The randomness of your issue and the fact that it works with ICS but not JB indicates it is not a hardware issue, but an app you have installed that is not working correctly with JB.

If you have the issue after a factory reset and with no other apps installed, exchange the device through customer support.

If the issue disappears, you will need to hunt for the app that caused the problem. You can install the apps one at a time and check for the problem after each install, or look in the comments for those apps (search by your device model) and see if others are experiencing the issue with that app after the JB update.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You aren't tardy for the party, Chuck_Jordan! You're just in time.
When the phone freezes, you can try the alternate reset if you haven't done so yet (this will not remove any data, it is just a soft reset)

Press and hold the Volume down key.
Simutaneously press and hold the Power button until the device powers off (approximately ten seconds), then release.
Do you get any action? Make sure the HDMI is disabled by going to Apps>Settings>Display>HDMI connection
Also, remove/reinsert the SD card. Before you do a hard reset, you can test the device in Safe Mode http://bit.ly/OJWrbo to make sure there isn't an app that is affecting the phone.
Please let me know how this works for you.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
chuckh1958

I'm having the same problem with a one month old Razr HD that came with 4.1.2 pre-installed. For me it never freezes during the day. It only happens at night while it's charging.  It happens ever 1-2 days. I use this phone for both my alarm clock and receiving critical alerts for my job so I simply cannot have it freeze in the middle of the night.

Sure I can soft reset it with the power + vol-Down trick, but I need to prevent the freezes from happening in the first place.

I've tried all of these things so far to no avail...

• Factory reset - still froze at night after a few days
  • Safe Mode - still froze at night after a few days
  • Power cycle phone before going to bed - still froze at night after a few days

Today I tried wiping the data cache. I hope this fixes it but I'm not holding my breath. I highly suspect it has something to do with it being charged - perhaps leaving it on charge after it reaches 100%.

Is there anyway to definitively diagnose what is happening? I know Android is based on a Linux kernel. Does it have a system log like a linux system does? Perhaps telling me why it's freezing?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's hard to say what may be causing yours to freeze while it is charging, chuckh1958. Thanks for doing all that you've done thus far to troubleshoot it.
I do want to forward your specific findings to the software development team to see if we can get additional answers after they have tested it out.
I'm curious to know how it has been since clearing cache?

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
chuckh1958

I decided to not charge the phone at night. Instead I am just charging it as needed during the day and leaving it off the charger all night. For 2 nights in a row it has not frozen. This is truly bizarre to me.

0 Likes