Power button not working, Motorola Turbo
bl66
Enthusiast - Level 2

The power button on my Motorola Droid Turbo is not working.  It will "click" in, physically, but it will not actually do anything - it will not lock the screen, or give me an option to power off, airplane mode, etc.  When the phone is locked (due to timing out) the power button will not turn the screen on for me to unlock it.  Only the motion sensing allows me to access the screen at all.  Is this something I really have to go into an actual Verizon store for?  The closest one is over an hour away from me.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Power button not working, Motorola Turbo
BrianPaul98
Enthusiast - Level 1

My power button also broke about 2 months ago due to dropping the phone and I've been scouring the web for a fix to reboot it. I saw a lot of apps that claim to do just that but also a lot of comments saying they don't work or you need to ROOT the phone... It just seems like a big risk to mess with all that and possibly mess something else up. On my phone I can wave my hand over the screen so the motion sensing brings it out of sleep mode so that's not a problem but not being able to restart the phone is getting to be a big problem. I was told the phone should be restarted at least once a week and it's been like 2 months since the last restart so it's not updating the wireless service and now the phone stopped ringing when I get calls. The only way I know if someone called is if they leave a message. Anyway with the help of Verizon (yeah no joke right, they were actually helpful) I found a very simple way to restart the phone. All you do is hold the DOWN volume button and touch the HOME  screen icon (the one in the middle that looks like a house) at the same time. Just hold the down volume while touching the home icon for about 10 or so seconds and viola the phone restarts!!! It's ringing again and a bunch of stuff updated so I'm really happy. I never let the battery completely die so I don't know for sure but I read that a Qi charger will work to turn it back on. With the Qi charger I have I must take the phone out of the case and turn it sideways due to the location of the charging coils I guess. I use an Itian Ai charger (A18 5W10W) that I got off ebay for like $12.00 and it wakes the phone up fine and charges great but like I said I never tried to turn it on using that method since I always keep it charged. Anyway I hope this will help someone

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want your phone to push your buttons bl66. Having this key working is essential for you. Let's take a look into this for you. Does this happen both with and without a case on the phone? Is there any damage with your phone? http://vz.to/1FAmX2E

NicoleB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

bl66
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do have an Otterbox Defender Series case, but I took it off and the button doesn't work without the case, either.

There is no damage to my phone and its not giving me any other issues.  This IS a replacement phone, which I received in July of this year from Assurion after making an insurance claim.  I have not had any other problems until this power button issue popped up.  Very strange.

bl66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any more ideas for help here?  I really don't want to have to go to a store, as it is an hour away and the wait is always long.

sms4707
Enthusiast - Level 1

This started happening to my droid turbo as well. No help?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is to have a working phone sms4707. We will be more than happy to help you get this resolved.  Let’s take a closer look and find the culprit. When did this start for you? Any changes done recently since you noticed this happening? Provide details on what happens so we  can better assist.

RalphT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
laurie_s79

The same thing started happening to my phone this week!   It wasn't dropped or damaged, in any way.  Suddenly the ON/OFF button just stopped working.

0 Likes
neccoboy
Enthusiast - Level 2

This started happening to my Galaxy S3 a few months ago after so many years of use. I found that there is software that can mimic buttons like the power button. Do a Google Play store search for "Screen off and lock" app which I am currently using. I have also used "Button Savior - Non Root" app in the past which offers more options and customization, But I find the first app to suffice.

Options are limited if your device is not covered under warranty or you do not have insurance. I found videos on youtube on how to fix the power button by replacing it, but it is very very technical. Best option is to use a software controlled app until you upgrade. Hope this helps

0 Likes
laurie_s79

neccoboy, I found that software too!  Unfortunately, that only works IF the phone is still powered ON.  It is not.  OR IF there is a way to turn the phone ON via USB.  This sounds like a different, very technical, thread to me. 

[Sighs]  My power button failed 3 days ago.  Frankly, it wasn't really a problem until I failed to keep the phone charged.  And now, even though it is fully charged, I can't turn it ON.

I need to check with Motorola, because my device *might* be covered under warranty.  I do not have insurance.  But I do know that, sadly, one of my limited options is to complain so loudly to Verizon and Motorola that they choose to help me out.

I too saw youtube videos on button replacement.  If I go down that path, I have to hope that the failure is 1) physical and 2) fixable with a pen knife, a soldering iron, duct tape and chewing gum.  Just joking about those last two items.

0 Likes
neccoboy
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes