Painfully slow Razr MAXX performance
tracykinz
Enthusiast - Level 2

the last couple months or so (since the last OS update) my phone has been painfully slow. Unlocking the screen, opening or exiting out of applications. Even my web browsing speeds have plummeted and I seem to have worse results on wireless strength in my home than I had in the past (however this could be a combination effect of symptoms). I have uninstalled many of my apps, I try to keep the recent apps clear so I have less active in the phones memory. I have performed several system cache clears. The first resulted in a great improvement for about 4-5 days. The next cache clears had less noticeable effect and have lasted 24-48 hours with minimal phone use during this time. I am about ready to take my anger out on the gorilla glass here.

To illustrate how slow the response time of the phone is, I have been missing phone calls because by the time the screen becomes active so I an accept or reject the call, it has already gone to voicemail.

Has anyone had this problem solved with something less than a factory reset. Shoot has anyone actually even solved this WITH a factory reset? Or does it appear that my worst fear is confirmed and I am stuck with a not very smart smart phone until the end of December when I can upgrade?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Painfully slow Razr MAXX performance
Chalkboard
Enthusiast - Level 1

Facebook was the culprit on my phone. Select it in Settings/Apps/All, remove all updates, force stop, then disable. My phone's performance improved greatly. I use Firefox and the Facebook mobile sight, and I love my phone again.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Sounds like some big issues, but one thing we need to Verify.. Do you have the Droid Maxx model XT 1080 or the Razr Maxx model XT 912  the Droid Maxx is having some issues with Kit Kat and the Razr Maxx is having some troubles with the latest OS as well my suggestion is too try if you haven't yet Power cycle the phone or clear the system cache, if that doesn't fix the issue run a Factory Reset..

0 Likes
tracykinz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I have the Razr Maxx model XT 912. Rebooting the phone was my first attempt at a resolution months ago. In the last couple weeks I have done at least 3 system cache clears and only the first one was effective for about a week. The subsequent two made a much more minor improvement and the improvement lasted only about 24-48 hours. Is there indication that a factory reset is going to solve this issue over the long term? I do not want to go through the trouble of a factory reset on my phone if in 7-10 days the issue is going to happen again, its the only reason I haven't done the factory reset yet.

dukey74
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issues too. Along with my wife's motorola droid razr. Haven't tried the factory reset but all the same as above. I went to store they said since i have the insurance they would send out a new one if it continues.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well all you can do is Try it)  sometime these updates can be good as Gold then at times they can be like the mud under our feet because they don't won't to mix with the OS that was currently on it before you installed the new one..

In the 6 years of having smartphone I've seen the Good that an OS can do and then come another OS and the evil side of it comes out and usually doing a Factory Reset tames it back down because your clearing out some of the old Files that are clashing with the new files.. So I'd say give it a Try.. and let me know how it come out.. one thing i wanted to add here a Corporate store can do a F.R for you or Customer Service can assist you through if you have another phone that you can talk with them on as your running through the Factory Reset

Here's there Number 1-800-922-0204  or  *611 use Option 3 or 4 when asked Say you'd like to talk to a Representative..

0 Likes
tracykinz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess I will bite the bullet and factory reset it tonight. I don't need any assistance (unless my backed up contacts won't come back in etc) so I will take the plunge tonight when I have some time to sit down with it.

I will post the results in the next few days and later down the road for an update on the performance. There are two Droid Razrs in my household with the same issue, I am just the only one of the two that has bothered to do much troubleshooting.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

K let me know how it turns out..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tracykinz,

Let's get you back to enjoying a full functioning phone again, I understand how frustrating a slow phone can be, but we're here to help now. Since you want to avoid the factory reset, I'm pleased to say we have an alternative; please use Safe Mode and test it for a few hours http://vz.to/1eaCTX9 then let us know if functions improved.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Robert_Kreitler

I am having all the same issues everyone else here is having with the added problem of the phone being VERY hot to the touch at times. My wife's phone regularly measures temperatures of 110*-116* and above (on a few occasions we have seen as high as 124*). It has gotten so hot it has melted the plastic screen protector, she had that phone replaced and the replacement phone has done the same thing too. The screen lag has already cost me money on amazon because it randomly selected things on screens before I seen them, luckily amazon was good enough to refund the money 1 of those times. Seems fishy how so many people are having issues with these phones but when you call customer support they claim that this is one of the first times they have heard of it.... I call BS on that. Fess up to the problem and work with customers to resolve the issue instead of trying desperately to blame the customer for the phone's deficiencies.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is certainly not normal Robert_Kreitler! Your phone should never heat up to the point that it melts screen protectors. Follow me (I'm already following you) and send me a direct message. I'll check if your phone is within manufacturer's warranty and explore replacement options.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport