No USB icon/option in my status bar/shade!
Edvasicek
Enthusiast - Level 2

The directions from Verizon and all over the internet tells me to transfer pictures via USB cable by tapping on the status bar (shade) and then tapping in the USB icon.  The problem is that I do not see a USB icon or any mention of USB either.

I tried getting help via Verizon on Facebook.  I could not get them to understand that I had not USB option. Then they pushed the cloud (which has a monthly fee) as a way to transfer photos. I finally gave up, realizing all I was going to get was a sale's pitch for cloud.  He told me it was free, but I saw that there is a $5 monthly charge.

This is ridiculous. With the my wife's Samsung, there is no problem.

Is there another way to turn off the "charging" default of the USB so I can use the cable to transfer pictures to my computer?

Help very very much appreciated!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: No USB icon/option in my status bar/shade!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have? Are you using the USB cable that came with the phone? Have you tried a different USB port?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Edvasicek
Enthusiast - Level 2

The cable is good -- used it for wife's Samsung before and after my attempts. 

The problem is not in the cable or the computer.

Even without a cable or being connected to the computer, if the instructions verizon provides are true, I should see an icon for the usb when I bring down the status bar.  Instead, the status bar shade has a volume control, an internet icon/name of connect, bluetooth, vierizon wireless, airplane mode, auto rotate, falshlight, location, cast, hotspot, and do not disturb (along with icons for all the above). But nothing for USB.

I have a Droid Turbo, android version 6.0.1.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

It sounds like your USB debugging mode may be set to only allow charging when connected to a computer. The mode can be changed in your phone to allow file transfers:

1. From a Home screen, navigate: Apps icon > Settings Settings icon.
2. From the System section, tap Developer options.

(If Developer options are unavailable first enable them under-Apps > Settings > About phone then tap Build number seven times)

3. Ensure the Developer options switch (located in the upper-right) is turned on Switch on.
4. Tap USB debugging to turn on Switch on or off
5. If presented with "Allow USB debugging?" screen, tap OK.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you're describing are icons for shortcuts/quick settings that you'll see if you slide down the notification shade twice (or slide down once with two fingers).  What you should be looking for is a notification and those are seen when you pull down the notification shade once (using one finger).  It looks like a bar rather than an icon andsays 'USB for charging' and when tapped, it should give you options for File Transfers, Photo Transfer, MIDI, and Software installation. 

Edvasicek
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nope. Still cannot get to that option; I see notifications, but no bar with USB.

Edvasicek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did touch it seven times and it congratulated me and said I was now a builder.  But no on/off switch, and no mention of USB.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to hear that you are still having troubles with the transfer, Edvasicek. To confirm, have you tried an alternate USB port? Do you get an error message on the computer when you connect the phone via USB? What type of computer?

RyanM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Edvasicek
Enthusiast - Level 2

My computer recognizes the phone, but it shows an empty file. When I tell it to transfer photos, and says there are none to transfer.  Yet I have photos on my phone.

The phone shows the USB port is slowly charging.  If you read the posts above, you will note that I have no USB option when I tap on the status bar or pull down the shade.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Edvasicek, I can understand why you would be puzzled if there is a solid connection indication from the phone to the computer with a USB. The next step will be ensuring your device is on the most current software. The most current update is Software Version http://spr.ly/6587DkEGT. You can see instructions here: http://spr.ly/6588DkEGp

In addition, let's determine if your device is getting impacted by a third-party app. Please put your phone in Safe mode and attempt to test it out. Here are the instructions: http://spr.ly/6589DkEGV Please let me know of the results. 

AkaneM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes