Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 9,873 Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions
Need Help - After Razr Maxx ICS Upgrade, Car Phone via Bluetooth Does Not Work
ASL

I own a 2007 Infiniti G35 sedan and I'm a Verizon customer. For years I had a Motorola "dumb" phone that worked via Bluetooth just fine in my G35. In May of this year, I got the Razr Maxx. It did not come with ICS installed when I bought it. The local Verizon store helped me set up the new phone and the Bluetooth worked in my car. In or about June, I received from Motorola the ICS software upgrade sent to my phone and installed it on my phone. Since then, my Bluetooh won't function correctly in the car for phone calling (which is the way I use my Bluetooth) and I have to use the phone in the traditional manner (hand-to-ear) with the Bluetooth turned off. I went back to the Verizon store and worked with the very nice gentleman who helped me in the past. He could not resolve the problem. Yesterday, I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon tech support, but they could not resolve my problem either. We tried to unpair and re-pair the phone to the vehicle, but that didn't fix it. We also deleted out all phones from the car's memory and started from scratch as a new phone. That didn't fix it either. Although my car recognizes the phone as paired, it will not work correctly. When I receive a call in the car with the bluetooth on, the phone rings both on my phone and through the speaker of the car, but the conversation can take place only on the phone -- i.e. I have to hold the phone to my ear to hear the caller and I must speak to the caller through the phone itself as if I weren't even in the car. When I make a call out, there is nothing audible through the car speaker or the phone itself, so I can't even tell that it is ringing on the other end, and I can't tell that anyone has picked up on the other end. Nothing. And the phone of the person I am calling does not even ring, even though I can see the call timer ticking away on my Razr. 

Has anyone had this type of problem and does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this? The Verizon store representative is suggesting that we need to a do some kind of reinstallation (not sure exactly what term he used) to go back to "factory settings." I don't know exactly what this is, but apparently it will cause me to have to start from scratch and will cause me to lose whatever data/email/texts I have on the phone but will still leave me with ICS. I don't believe he is certain that this will solve the problem.

(And all of this is on the heels of email functionality issues I had following the ICS upgrade. That has been resolved, but this overall bugginess is very frustrating, taking up a lot of my time, and making me wish I had chosen another phone and perhaps even an iphone.)  

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide me.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Need Help - After Razr Maxx ICS Upgrade, Car Phone via Bluetooth Does Not Work
DrLove

I recently realized I have a similar problem. I have a Plantronics Voyager Pro UC that was working fine with my Droid Razr Maxx prior to the ICS upgrade. I received the upgrade a couple of weeks ago and now cannot get the headset to work correctly with the phone. I initially had issues with the headset connecting or being seen by the phone. After several attempts to re-pair it, I was able to get it to show connected on the phone.

Ironically, I am able to listen to music (either file or slacker/pandora, etc.) through the headset, but phone calls will not work with it. I thought it may have been the headset at first, but I have it paired with my laptop also and it works fine there.

Seems to point to something in the ICS software.

0 Likes
Re: Need Help - After Razr Maxx ICS Upgrade, Car Phone via Bluetooth Does Not Work
Jaysfive

Exactly the same problem here as well.  2007 G35 Coupe with factory Bluetooth.  I had tried all the same things you did, ASL, with exactly the same response...that is, nothing. I did discover that if you select the speakerphone button on your phone, you can her the caller through the phones speaker, but I do not actually know if caller can then hear me or not...but I would not be surprised if my phone mic becomes active then.

The Verizon guy I tried at the store said it must be my car...but I am rethinking that, as it sure seems tied to the ICS upgrade.  As luck would have it, I just bought my wife a car....Murano, so still a Nissan product.  I will try to pair my phone tomorrow and, if the sales guy is willing, have him try on my car as well.

Will update with the results.

Please DO update your post if you resolve your issue as well.  Cheers from Jaysfive!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Try Clearing the Bluetooth Cache and the Data on your Phone and See if that may Work.. Go to Apps--> Scroll the Top Banner to All then scroll up to Bluetooth after clearing these Two do a Soft Reset.. then try to re-pair to your Bluetooth in your Car..

0 Likes
Jaysfive

Thanks, B33, for the prompt reply!  Are your directions for ICS on a Maxx?  I went to "ALL APPS", but do not follow you on how to cleare the "Bluetooth Cache"....or clearing the "Data" you refer to.

I guess, sheepishly, I do not know how to do a soft reset either.  Will any of this delete lots of installed data or settings on my phone?

More detail would be much appreciated!!

Cheers! from Jaysfive!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Sure what you Looking like a Manual or Something ?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

You might Try Bluetooth Share Jay and Let me head you in this Direction:

Have a Look at these Two Links Here below i'v Posted a few Tips from Motorola and they Update just about every Week: On page two of my Tips are the PDF Links to the Manuals for the Razr / Razr Maxx  b33

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p/30,6720,8417

RAZR / RAZR MAXX Helpful Tips..

0 Likes
Jaysfive

OK - figured out that you meant to access Apps from the Settings screen instead of the Favorites tray.  I did the cache and data clear out of Bluetooth Share, rebooted the phone and, unfortunately no luck.  I just checked with my wife's phone(als a Razr Maxx - same behaviour...so it is either my car of some issue with the ICS upgrade on our Razr Maxx's, I guess???

Thanks so much for the ideas, though, and other suggestions?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well hopefully the Update that is coming when it gets here addresses some of these issues. I was hoping for it would come in Aug. but Sept. 1 is Saturday so we may be looking at Sept. Maybe Oct. Before we get this Much needed update..

0 Likes
ASL

UPDATE:

So, I spoke at length with Motorola last Thursday, but they couldn't resolve my issue and escalated it to Level 3. I spoke to a Level 3 rep on Monday.  Despite having spoken to this third representative (two on Thursday and one Monday), no one until this third rep enlightened me with the news that there is a "known compatability issue" between Motorola's ICS and Infiniti/Nissan vehicles' bluetooth. "They" are working on it supposedly, but cannot tell me when, if ever, the problem will be resolved. The rep seemed to suggest that I shouldn't wait around for the fix. I asked about a factory reset, but she didn't know if it would work. She said "you could try it." Thanks for that! The rep even suggested I should speak to my carrier about getting a new phone b/c they can't yet fix this known problem with their ICS and I'm not getting what I need or expect out of my phone. I can assure you it won't be a Motorola, since their three models that have ICS all will have this problem.  Not sure what to turn to from here. I guess I will try the factory reset, then have to move on to another manufacturer. I did check and my brother's Samsung Galaxy S3; it worked with my vehicle's bluetooth, so maybe that. I'm very disappointed. Having a Bluetooth functional phone in my car is absolutely vital for me and I wouldn't have purchased the Razr Maxx had I known about this issue when I bought it. 

RESPONSES TO MY UPDATED INFO FROM ANDROID CENTRAL FROM OTHERS:

Fyi
I had the same problem did a factory reset which did not help. Had Verizon send me another phone and it too did not work. I went round and round with Motorola Nissan verizon and Bose stereo systems and they all point fingers at each other. So I went back and found an old Bluetooth headset that cost 25 dollars 5 years ago and lo and behold it works great.

So it looks like I'm a pinball in a pinball machine and just have to realize that some things can't get fixed as easily as we all think it should

So I'm not going to hold my breath and wait for it to get fixed. Sorry for that news but it is what it is

AND THIS:

The BT is definitely buggy in ICS, it often locks up and stays connected after exiting the car and requires a reboot to fix. I hope they are working on a patch. Every android phone i owned had some sort of BT bugs to deal with.

0 Likes