My headphone jack stopped working. What should I do?
JodyOnVerizon

I have a Droid Razr Maxx (XT912) and have always enjoyed using earbuds for music.  Normally, when I plug in the ear buds, the music stops coming from the phone's speaker and starts coming thru the earbuds.

Today, for the first time, the earbuds don't work and the music continues to come from the built-in speaker of the phone when the earbuds are plugged in.

The plug seems secure and doesn't jiggle at all.

I powered down (and up) the phone twice with no change.

I performed a visual inspection of the jack "hole" (with a light) and everything appears normal.

I gently cleaned the jack "hole" with a Q-tip with no change.

There is no icon showing that there is anything plugged into the jack.

The earbuds work nicely with another device.

I made a phone call using the built-in speaker phone with no problem.

I just checked "System updates" and the phone tells me my Android system is up to date. (version 4.1.2)

After checking this forum for answers, I noticed that Safe Mode might help identify the problem, so:

I am currently operating in Safe Mode (it says Safe Mode at the bottom of the screen) with no change.

This is a brand new problem and appears to be hardware since there is no icon for headphones (I never noticed one before but I guess I just missed it, cause I've always been able to use earbuds before...) and it continues when in Safe Mode.

Many thanks for your help.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Headphone jack stopped working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi JodyOnVerizon,

Thank you for all the work you have done to get the phone working again as it should! I'm sorry the hard resent did not resolve the trouble for you. At this point, you are correct, we would want to review replacement options for the hardware itself. Were you able to work with a representative already on this option?

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Headphone jack stopped working
JodyOnVerizon

1 day later with no replies.  I notice Verizon Wireless Customer Support has responded to over 40 other problems since I posted my problem.  Please offer me some support too. Help 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you had noticed those replies by the reps were to posts created approximately two days earlier. This is a peer to peer customer forum where customers can give suggestions and advice to other customers about their questions. The reps provide additional to the users of the community, but don't expect an immediate response from a fellow customer and especially don't expect one from an official VZW rep.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JodyOnVerizon

Thank you for your helpful answer, Ann154.

Do you have any advice to offer regarding my headphone jack problem?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello JodyOnVerizon, we want to get you using your phone as intended! Just to double check was there any physical or water damage on the phone? Have you tried listening to music via the headphones in different mediums? For example, have you tried different applications or the native music player to see if there is a change? Also, test the speaker phone to see if that is functioning.  This could be an internal malfunction. If there is no change the last resort option is a hard reset. To do this, you will want to first backup your music, pictures, and contacts. Then go to Settings, Select privacy, Factory Data Reset, click reset phone, and erase everything. This will rule out any issues with the software causing this since it will bring the phone back to factory settings.

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support

0 Likes
JodyOnVerizon

Thank you WiltonA_VZW.  Your answer takes me straight to the "last resort."

I have tried other audio applications (ie, Pandora) and can't get the audio to work properly - the problem outlined in my first post persists.

As mentioned, the speakerphone works properly for phone calls

I tried using earbuds with a microphone, but that didn't work.  It was as though I was simply speaking on the phone - as though the earbuds (and microphone) weren't plugged in at all.

So, I took the option of last resort.  I performed a hard reset.  Since I had performed this on my wife's phone before, (unrelated to the phone jack) it wasn't as traumatic as it might have been. 

Unfortunately, it made no difference.

After a time consuming hard reset, accepting "terms of service" etc., the problem persists exactly as before.

I've run thru all the suggestions I can find in these forums - again - including Safe Mode - and the problem persists.

Any further suggestions, anyone?

Since all of the efforts outlined in these posts have failed, I continue to believe it is a hardware malfunction and will go to a Verizon Wireless rep to see where I go from here.  I'd like to keep this phone if I can get the phone jack working properly again.  Maybe a technician can help me figure it out...

Thank you,

Jody

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi JodyOnVerizon,

Thank you for all the work you have done to get the phone working again as it should! I'm sorry the hard resent did not resolve the trouble for you. At this point, you are correct, we would want to review replacement options for the hardware itself. Were you able to work with a representative already on this option?

RuthW_VZW

0 Likes