Multiple Text Messages Sent
NATRAPS
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Droid RAZR and am being told that people I am texting are receiving several copies of my text messages.  From my side my phone acts as if it's trying to send it (I see a green arrow for a while before it either changes to the timestamp or I receive a failed to send message).  Regardless of what I see (green arrow or error message), the other person is receiving 4 or 5 (upwards of 😎 copies of the same text.

• This is happening regardless of what carrier the other person is using (most use Verizon as well but it happened last night to someone on Sprint). 
  • When texting I always have between 2 and 5 3G bars on Verizon (not roaming).
  • It doesn't matter how long the message is.  Sometimes it's a single word, others it's a paragraph.
  • It's inconsistent.  I text primarily from home.  I can text and have it send multiple copies for one message and then text immediately after in the same spot and it goes through immediately.

Is there anything I can check on my phone (signal level, data management setting etc)?  My Droid RAZR is running the latest firmware (6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US) and I am using the default "Text" app on the phone.

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Multiple Text Messages Sent
NATRAPS
Enthusiast - Level 1

I take it no one else has ever had this problem?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you checked the Droid Razr section under the Android space of this community?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

NATRAPS thank you for providing detailed info on your issue with your device. I checked and I am not showing this reported as a known issue with the Razr. I did move this to the Razr forum for greater exposure. One thing I have seen on different model devices is that having a large number of messages in each thread can sometimes cause duplicates. Try clearing some of your threads and reboot your phone. If possible, delete all messages.

If still happening, did this start when you first received the phone or how long has it been going on? Does this happen with every single text message? If clearing your message threads does not resolve the issue, then try booting your phone into safe mode for awhile and ask your friend if they are still receiving duplicates. If not, it is possible an application is causing the issue. Uninstall recently installed applications or any applications that have permissions that affect SMS. If still no change, I suggest a factory reset.

Let me know if this helps!

MarquiaF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Marksman762

I'm experiencing the same issues.  A reboot did not work.  It's not everybody I'm sending messages to though, just a random few.  Some are on Verizon and some are not.  This issue started about two weeks after I bought the phone.  I have no other applications installed using text messaging. 

0 Likes
pvancelette

Yup.... just started happening to me a few days ago.  Folks that I am sending text messages to are receiving multiple copies of the same text message that I only sent once.

I have pulled the battery and re-booted, I have deleted all of my old text messages to folks and I deleted current conversations and starting-over with my day-to-day friends.

I don't think this is related to a specific phone model, but maybe a specific version of Android is showing the problem.  Mine is Android version 2.3.4

I am NOT using any text messaging application other than the standard-issue SMS text message app that came with the phone.

I believe that this is some sort of Verizon server problem.  Too many different type of phones are having a problem.  Just saying....

0 Likes
B33
Legend

MarQuia i think cleaning out of the INBOX an OUTBOX is a Very Good suggestion an if Special messages need to be Saved they should be saved in a Special File or on a Detached File Card..

@pvancelette::  On the Razr/Razr Maxx you can do a Soft Reset/Battery Pull as it has been called in the Past:  Hold the Volume Down Button Plus the Power for a Few Seconds Till the Device shuts off. Then Re-lease them...

But to actually pull the Battery in the Raz / Razr Maxx  YOU CAN NOT DO.. that as it will Void the Warranty!  b33 

0 Likes
Elliott_E

I have the exact same problem, and I agree with pvancelette. it seems to be a verizon server issue, as opposed to anything the phone/app is doing. it's so random, i can't figure out any rhyme or reason to it. i've seen as many as 3 copies of a text i sent, but most of the time it's 1 or 2 copies. i have an htc thunderbolt, running 2.11.605.19 and i used to use handcent, recently switched to go sms, but it seems to happen from either. i havent done too much testing with the stock messaging app, though. it's also very hard to "test" because it seems random. btw, i HAVE seen go sms sometimes show the message i just sent show up twice in the thread for a couple seconds, and then the dupe disappears. not sure what it's doing when that happens, but i also havent correlated that specifically with the receiver getting 2 copies, but at one time i thought there might have been something to that. anyway, how can we determine if it's something in verizon's servers or the phones? hmm...

0 Likes
anowacki

I am having this exact same problem.  Has anyone figured out what it is?   My calls to verizon support have been less than fruitful.  

They have replaced my SIM card once, my phone 3 times and are now saying it is some app on the phone but the only apps I have on there are typical apps (words with friends, facebook, twitter, a ralphs grocery store app, and viggle).  People are getting copies of the same message 3 or 4 times but I do not see it on my side.   It seems to be sporadic and doesn't happen all the time.  

has anyone figured out how to fix this??  The only other option verizon has given me was to switch the type of phone I have (which I would have to pay for) or remove ALL apps from my phone (which defeats the purpose of having a smart phone).

Any ideas? 

0 Likes
jp4fcr

April 2014 - this is still a problem.  I have the Razr HD and was originally having a problem receiving messages (requiring me to check my phone and hit a "download" button.  Later it was followed by resending of messages to people, mostly on reboot, but sometimes just randomly.

I was able to figure out the Motorola Myspeak was involved most of the time on the repeat messages, but all Moto Speak messages aren't resent to all recipients.  Verizon suggested factory reboot - which I did.  It solved the downloading of messaging issue, but has not addressed the resending message.

I will occasionally have a message sent twice right after sending it (without Moto Speak).  My husband has the same apps/software on his Razr HD Maxx and doesn't experience any problems.  My take after all of my research, this is a Verizon server issue that they aren't acknowledging or willing to spend time to research/resolve.  After 15+ years of Verizon, I may switch due to unreliable service for text messaging.

0 Likes