Re: Motorola released a fix for stage fright on August 10th. When will it be available and how will I know that I have the update with the fix?
bdstx4
Contributor - Level 1

People need to remember what ALL android agreements are with ALL carriers. The carrier gets to hold up all updates as

long as they like to absolute never. Specific phone by phone.

All Motorola can do is say please VZW will let us install this update.

This is very different from the agreement got that Apple got with with carriers. All iOS updates come directly over WiFi and carriers have nothing to say about it. No preinstalled carrier apps of any kind are allowed. Under Android carriers get to have any app they wish to be preinstalled. Like NFL mobile, etc.

Re: Motorola released a fix for stage fright on August 10th. When will it be available and how will I know that I have the update with the fix?
WalkerMN
Enthusiast - Level 2

According to a recent Droid Life article, Moto only pushed the Stage Fright patch to Moto E last week, so I think it's possible they've not actually delivered the patch to Verizon for the Turbo yet. Not clear to me we can blame the carriers yet here. We all forget, the manufacturers are in the business of selling new handsets too, so they have the same limited incentive to support old hardware versus preparing new product launches. As consumers, we must keep tabs on who does this well and support those areas.

For my part, this Droid Turbo purchase was easy - it was an awesome phone, and it's predecessor (Droid RAZR Maxx) survived 30m submerged in 5 feet of lake water and was in use a year later. I rewarded Moto's resilient hardware construction. But, if the response to Stage Fright is ultimately worse than its peers, this will weigh on my next decision.

In the meantime, there are steps you can take to protect yourself. There are many pages with details, just google "android stage fright disable auto retrieve fetch" or something close to find them.

In the Verizon messenger app, go to settings, and tap into the advanced settings, and uncheck "Auto-retrieve."

I made hangouts my default text app so I could set the disable setting, then reset it to the Verizon messenger app, because it bothered me that it was selected in hangouts even though it was greyed out. There are also some tester applications out there you can download, but I'd view that with caution and personally just disabled auto-retrieve for now. Seems the downside is some content you will have to tap on to expose rather than just have it automatically be there, and you'd of course not want to DO that for media sent by people you didn't know.

It's not a perfect solution, since someone might invent a worm of sorts that once a user is infected, sends it to people in the contacts, but it's something* at least we can do for now. (While we impatiently wait...)

0 Likes