Re: Motorola Razr Maxx losing wifi connection
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get your phone connected once and for all Sugarand Spicex3. So that we can troubleshoot correctly, we will need additional information.  Have you tried to remove and readd your home wifi connection? Are you able to connect to other wifi connections successfully? What software version do you have? To learn how to check this click, http://vz.to/1jk8qxM

Thank You,
MichelleL_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
S810
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will save you all the trouble and tell you exactly what the problem is.  MOTOROLA!!!  It is due to the last software update they did on your phone.  This has been confirmed by Verizon AND Motorola.  Thing is Motorola says it doesn't know when they will have the next update to fix it.  Well I figure The squeaky wheel better get greased!  Here is the number to Motorola  support and all we have to do as an army is call constantly until they decide to fix it.  Don't let them tell you they want to try something to fix it.  They can't!!!!  It needs a software fix from them PERIOD!!!  Call and call if you want to see the fix sooner!  1-800-734-5870

Your only other choice would be to turn off auto software updates on your phone AFTER you do a factory reset and hope that works.  Or you could call and call Motorola until they actually do something about it!

Greg_G
Enthusiast - Level 2

Although eight other devices don't have any problems establishing and maintaining a connection to my home WiFi, let's assume for a minute my router is the problem.  What aspect of the router could be causing the problem?  Does the Razr Maxx have certain requirements for WiFi connections?  If I go shopping for a new router that's Razr Maxx friendly how do I know what to look for in a replacement router?

This thread is NOT answered!!!  SugarAndSpicex3 posted a follow up to my original post.  Their problem may be solved but not the problem from my original post!!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Greg_G, thanks for the details. Since eight other devices are able to connect to your home Wi-Fi, then we can assume that this is a device issue. Have you downloaded any 3rd party applications from the Google Play market? Some application software can affect the performance of your device. You mentioned that you've been experiencing this issue since you recieved a software update. Since that update, have you master reset your phone since the update? http://vz.to/M0pNF6

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
S810
Enthusiast - Level 2

LasinaH, while we appreciate your concern and replies again I say it has been confirmed by Verizon AND Motorola that the problem stems from the last update by Motorola!!!!  Will CAP LOCKS HELP TO GET PEOPLE TO LISTEN!!  I DID THE LEG WORK AND SPENT OVER AN HOUR ON THE PHONE WITH VERIZON AND MOTOROLA!!!  IT IS THE LAST UPDATE!!!  MOTOROLA WON'T CONFIRM WHEN THERE WILL BE A FIX SO THERE SOLUTION TO FIX THE PROBLEM IS FOR USERS TO DO A FACTORY RESTART ON YOUR PHONE REVERTING IT BACK TO THE PREVIOUS OS BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATING SO IT DOESN'T LOAD THE NEW OS AUTOMATICALLY. 

VERIZON, IF YOU WANT TO HELP SOLVE THE PROBLEM HELP US TO FORCE MOTOROLA TO COME UP WITH A FIX.....SOON!!!!!

TomClark62704
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks S810. I agree, this is Motorola's software problem (update 98.18.94 XT907 Nov. 2013). I am stuck in VZW's contract for this Razr M phone until 10/22/14. When the phone is in its non-functional wifi state, the wifi button is greyed out at the setting Off, so it cannot be switched to On. No wifi networks show up at all. Maddeningly, after soft resets or for no reason at all, the phone sometimes allows wifi to turn on for a while (at home or elsewhere), then goes back to greyed-out wifi Off.  I tried the other fixes suggested by VZW moderators, to no avail. Then I did the factory reset (http://vz.to/M0pNF6 ) (twice), losing all of my apps in the process. And of course it had absolutely no effect on what VZW moderators call a “device issue”. I have searched and found NO WAY to turn off auto **device software** updates through the phone’s settings. So it will just re-install the problematic update to Android v. 4.1.2. Motorola needs to fix its software! I am paying for a semi-functional phone that runs up VZW data overages.

Not applicable

I took a little surf about the Router and found a couple of comments about not being able to connect phones or Gaming players, like Wii or xBox.    It seems to love Computers and tablets, no problems with them.

The successful fix for some of these was to create a Guest network and use that for the phone.  It's worth a try.

0 Likes
TomClark62704
Enthusiast - Level 2

Motorola tech support diagnosed my Razr M no Wifi issue as a a device software issue, based upon screenshots I sent them via email to (https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/prod_ask/action/auth). They said the phone is apparently unable to properly load the device software. They noted that few of their phones have this problem. Obviously, some do. Motorola offered options of shipping to them for repair (software reload) or taking to VZW for exchange as defective (as per my device insurance). I did the latter. Motorola will ship refurbished replacement phone to me. Will advise what happens.

Greg_G
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did a reset of my phone  I did not re-install any 3rd party apps.  WiFi worked for almost a day but now the WiFi indicator is gray so I've lost the connection.  I'm having the same problem as before.  Now what?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your patience is greatly appreciated Greg_G! We are committed to getting this issue resolved for you. Next we want to check to ensure that you are on the correct software version. Please provide the software, baseband, and android version on your device. Also, can I assume that there isn't any physical or liquid damage on the phone? Have there been any changes to the wifi setting or the router? As you share the details then we can continue to search for a solution.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes