Marshmallow hosed my USB mode (MTP) and I want it back
CFray

Two days ago the system forced the Marshmallow update onto my phone.  Today I tried plugging in my Turbo to my PC to manage some file transfers.  My Win 7 PC can no longer see anything on the phone, even though Windows recognizes that the device (XT1254) is present.  Double clicking on the device icon opens to a completely blank Windows Explorer window.

I did some troubleshooting on Google, and managed to find a USB driver that's necessary for some other Motorola products (i.e. Moto G).  I installed that, rebooted my phone and my PC...nothing.  Same issue.  The PC sees the device but can't read anything.  Great...a worthless expenditure of 45 minutes.

Further research pointed to Developer Options, and how to turn on that feature in Android Settings.  One of the options under Developer that I thought would solve my problem is "Select USB Configuration."  To my surprise, when entering the Developer Options for the first time, it was already set to MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) which is what I want in order to manage files from the PC interface.  Clearly there's something amiss with this part of Marshmallow, or my phone would still be working the way it has for the last 2 years.

So I chose the "Charging" option backed out of Settings and rebooted.  Then changed it back to MTP, rebooted, and the problem remains.  How lovely...Another 22 more minutes down the drain.

I totally don't get why "upgrades" screw around with basic settings like this.  I have been using my Droid Turbo for 2 years this way, and now this functionality is hosed.  I had to really dig to find out how to turn on the Developer Options, and now it appears that it DOESN'T EVEN FUNCTION.  I find it tremendously suspicious that my 2 year phone contract was up last month, and now this changes.  This phone was in perfectly serviceable order, until two days ago, and I WANT IT FIXED VERIZON/MOTOROLA/GOOGLE.  I don't have hours and hours to chase down technical glitches like this.  That's why I'm paying you $2,500 per year for service. 

Clearly I welcome a post here from any kind soul who has solved the problem, but I sincerely expect to hear from Verizon on this message board...not just from others with the same issue.

Oh yes...let's add in another 20 minutes to collect my thoughts and transmit my problem here.  Verizon...Motorola...are you listening?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Marshmallow hosed my USB mode (MTP) and I want it back
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

With the Marshmallow update, the default USB mode is charging only.  Once you connect the phone and computer with the USB cable, pull down the notification shade, tap where it says USB for Charging, and change it to File Transfer.

0 Likes
CFray

Being that I must have this functionality, I kept seeking an answer. 

The solution is so mind-numbingly simple, I cannot understand why it works like this.

My problem apparently was that I was plugging the USB cable into my computer first, and THEN plugging it into my Turbo.  This is the "incorrect" way to connect. 

This post:  http://tinyurl.com/zt3nm9v  says to FIRST plug into the phone and THEN to plug into the PC.

Further, once that is done, you have to pull down the notification area on the phone and touch the "USB Connection" / "USB for Charging" notification...then choose "MTP/File Transfers."  I can barely believe that the order the cable ends are plugged makes this much difference.  I have never experienced this until the Marshmallow update.

0 Likes
CFray

Thank you tikibar1.  I am grateful for your reply.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I assure you that any update that is developed for your device is for your benefit, CFray. We're glad to see that you were able to continue using the USB mode on the device and we appreciate your patience.

Are there any other questions or concerns we can address for you regarding the latest update? I have included additional details on the newest software update here http://vz.to/2iaUbwB Please reach back out to us when you have the opportunity and we will be ready to continue helping.

SteveR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes