Re: Marshmallow for droid turbo
Dawghowse
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think the last update prevents anyone from unlocking the bootloader last I read. This would be where everyone needs to get together and demand if you own the phone you should be able to get the unlock codes from any carrier period.  By the way the droid will work on other carriers.

0 Likes
cmhjon
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last week, at Verizon's suggestion (after being told that VZW has no control over OS updates), I contacted Motorola about Android 6 on the (2014) Droid Turbo. I was told that the Droid Turbo is "eligible" for Android 6 but no release date was mentioned.

Normally, I don't really care much about OS updates but Marshmallow actually has a feature that I want (permissions manager) and I don't want to have to wait until March when my contract is up to buy a new phone with Marshmallow (or Nougat) on it!

I, like others, am disappointed that Android 7 is out while the Turbo remains at Android 5.  It seems to me that those of us who opted to purchase this Verizon exclusive deserve SOME kind of communication from Verizon about IF this is going to happen or not after being told that it was.  If this is no longer the case, then I think you owe it to us to say that.

For the record, my phone is working perfectly and I would appreciate a non-form response that actually provides some insight (including a release date) about what's going on!  If you don't know, find out.

Thank you for your time.

Dawghowse
Enthusiast - Level 3

I believe the last time this happened with a Motorola phone Verizon offered $100 credit if they bought another Moto phone. I can't remember the exact details. In my opinion Verizon does owe a REAL explanation of what is going on. After doing some more research it really seems to be on Verizon's dime.

0 Likes
hammerhead13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Personally im done with Verizon. Come End of Year I plan on moving elsewhere. Empty promises and overpriced service. Ive had enough. 13yrs, i wont be here to celebrate 14.

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

On Motorola's website it stills says that the Droid Turbo will be upgraded to 6.0 Marshmallow, 'pending carrier support'. Which tells me, if Verizon is still on board with the update. I hope it does, though it's getting late in the cycle. If Verizon doesn't update the phone to 6.0, I'm switching to a new Nexus/Pixel phone and going with Project Fi, which is far more reasonable per month than any of the carrier's plans and if you don't use all the data allotted, you get a refund the following month. How novel!

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

This is usually how it works. The phone manufacturer will submit a software/OS update to the carrier, in this case Verizon. Verizon rigorously tests the update to make sure all of their redundant propriatary apps work with it than, if all goes well, it's sent out, OTA, to the end user. I read somewhere, that Motorola submitted 6.0 Marshmallow updates for the Droid Turbo and Turbo 2 around the same time, which would've been about 8 months ago, based on when the Turbo 2 was updated to Marshmallow. If that is the case, why is Verizon sitting on the 6.0 update for the OG Turbo. The same phone in Brazil and India are running on 6.0, so.....

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You miss quoted the Motorola site. It says "This device will be upgraded to the Android 6 (Marshmallow) release of Android, pending partner support." There is more than one partner involved in the upgrade process. Hardware manufacturers, FCC, and carriers to name a few. It isn't just the carriers.

Motorola Support - Find Answers | Motorola Mobility, Inc.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
hammerhead13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Correct me if im wrong but the Droid Turbo is 95% a Nexus 6 (Bigger Screen, GSM & CDMA) hardware wise, plus all the Verizon Bloat. There really is no excuse. We are not Getting M because of VZW not because of the Hardware MFGs. Typically VZW is the Last to Release these OTA just happened this time they missed the Bus

0 Likes
cmhjon
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon?

0 Likes
Dawghowse
Enthusiast - Level 3

Motorola is done with their part, this is on Verizon to respond properly! If the droid turbo has M in India why oh why not the US? Verizon IS the problem, so Verizon prove it's not on you!

0 Likes