Re: KitKat Upgrade is horrible for Droid RAZR Maxx HD - Major issues - Horrible testing
br1990

yes this is on her phone. to correct in my previous post, i meant the 900+ photos in HER* phone gallery are now gone (not mine). My gallery is obviously not on her phone and that was just a typo.

She can still see other groups of pictures like those from instagram or those she has received in messages from other phones or the camera photos she has taken since the update but all of her photos (900+) that she took with her phone's camera prior to doing the kit kat update are now nowhere to be found. she has never manually hidden anything but neither of us are unsure how to check to make sure nothing is 'hidden' following the update.

please let me know if you have any other advice or any other questions that can help solve the problem.

0 Likes
Re: KitKat Upgrade is horrible for Droid RAZR Maxx HD - Major issues - Horrible testing
stef7
Master - Level 2

Can she see the photos using the application "My Files" or something like that in her app drawer? She should have a file manager like that so she can navigate the phone's storage directory/file structure. Otherwise, she could connect her phone via a USB cable and navigate the directory structure that way.

It's possible they are in a directory with a "." at the end of it, or there is a file called ".nomedia" in the directory with the pictures... either will "hide" the photos from the media scanner which runs at phone boot time.

Hopefully the files are not lost. Maybe she can find them and copy them off to a PC... Then copy selective ones into the directory with her other photos. 900+ photos seems a lot! If she can get them off her phone, she should back them up onto a PC, and perhaps free up some space on her phone.

HTH.

0 Likes
br1990

i will tell her to try using the 'my files' app to see them. if they were there, how would she find them or what folder would they be in using that app?

i know she has connected her phone to her computer with the usb and tried finding them (with no luck) by searching through that method. she didnt see them when she looked in the media folders or couldnt find them when searching for 'jpg' or 'jpeg'. is there something else or another folder she should try finding where they might be using that computer connection method?

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Not sure where she might have put the files. Not sure what directory they could be in. Sorry I can't be of more help.

There are programs that attempt to find and restore "deleted" files, but you can only use these if the file structure hasn't been messed with.

Maybe you could help her look. Hope they aren't deleted.

0 Likes
br1990

just to clarify - she didnt move them or change their format or anything. the only change was she did the kit kat update and then all these photos were gone. if they were moved or reformatted or something, it was due to that update, so thats why neither she (nor I) know where these 900+ photos went.

AdaS_VZW - any further information, suggestions, solutions, etc.?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's see if we can't find these pictures br1990. Was she backing them up in her SD/memory card? I recommend having her removed her SD card from her phone and insert it directly into a computer (use appropriate SD card reader). If she can see them on the computer, then they still are there and will just need to export them out to her computer and re-insert her card to her phone and format it. Only format after all the cards information has been backed up http://vz.to/1uDdlOm . Once it has been reformatted, she will them be able to import them back into her card. Keep us posted with your friends progress!

SandyS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rlk13

I too have experienced issues with Kitkat.  My Droid Maxx HD was a great phone until Kitkat.  My only option appears to be spend my money and purchase a new phone or fight the endless battle with refurbs.  Wish my company could break people's stuff then make them pay to fix it. Verizon-I thought your customers were "the best part of Verizon".  Sorry but I don't feel like I am.

0 Likes
jtlapp

Well, I've moved on to LG. I counted The Droid RAZR Maxx my favorite phone up until the OS update. After the update, I spent a week with a phone that barely functioned and ended up keeping it in Safe mode. Another update later, and I found that the phone worked, even if draining more power, but I never figured out the new user interface. These basic functional issues persisted:

(1) I ceased to be able to simply press a phone number to dial it -- I would often press twice and end up calling the previous number I had dialed.

(2) I ceased to be able to add a phone number to contacts by pressing on the number. It would allow me to walk through the process, but it would never retain my changes.

(3) I was no longer able to switch back to a previous caller after taking a new call. I always lost the caller.

(4) I couldn't figure out how to call voice mail. There used to be a built-in function for that somewhere. I eventually realized I had a voicemail app and had remember to open this app instead of the phone app.

(5) The text notification always remained for the most recent message, with the effect that the notification light was always blinking and so the light lost all meaning for me.

I was excited about the Droid Turbo, but in the store I saw that the user interface was virtually the same thing that I found indecipherable on my Maxx. I figured that I needed an intermediate company protecting me from Google's bad UI decisions. I was also not happy that the camera increased pixel count for the same poor hardware, with the net effect of producing an even slower, less reliable camera at no better effective resolution.

I settled on an LG G3 instead and have ordered the ZeroLemon extended battery. Bye Motorola.

0 Likes
mlandau

I have been having the same problems as everyone else since kitkat, and they are only getting worse. The funny thing is I have almost none of the same problems on my pure android phone and tablet. That tells me that the problems arise from the changes to the operating system that Motorola and or Verizon have put on top of it. Motorola has gone through ownership changes, and so disarray from them is to be expected. Verizon is too busy printing money and they obviously don't care anymore about being the top quality wireless provider in the USA. I this phone was an exclusive for Verizon and I hold them ultimately responsible. I it is tragic that they can advise people to backup data and do a hard factory reset and 'let us know how that works.' They have the Microsoft Windows mentality. Now I sit hoping for a lollipop to be issued and/or my contract to mature.

0 Likes