Re: KitKat Upgrade is horrible for Droid RAZR Maxx HD - Major issues - Horrible testing
Droid_Usr

One other issue I've found from Salesmen: The SD on one of our salesmen's phones started receiving an error after the update. I have mailed him a new one, with directions on how to install it. I went ahead and purchased several more SD cards in case this begins to be a pattern with other salesmen.

0 Likes
Re: KitKat Upgrade is horrible for Droid RAZR Maxx HD - Major issues - Horrible testing
navytestpilot

I have also found that with KK on my Razr Maxx HD that Google Play Music stutters quite often, battery life has been reduced, spotty group texts, numerous Force Closes on apps I never had problems on, and, although minor in the big scheme, I am missing my toggle switch for the ringer on the lock screen!  All-in-all I despise this os upgrade and wish I could go back.  For all the iPhone bashing I have done in the past....I might just have to move over to Apple.

0 Likes
jtlapp

The update caused these problems for me on my Droid Razr Maxx:

(1) It reset numerous preference settings, including calendar reminders.

(2) Battery drains fast, phone burning up (hot!), despite numerous reboots. I used to be at 70% or 80% at end of day. Now it's around 15%, with little use.

(3) Gmail syncing does not turn off even though UI says syncing is off. (What else is still syncing?)

(4) Traffic only intermittently shows on Google maps app.

(5) The "home rule" kicks in when I'm 1/2-mile from home, disabling 4G when I'm at the gas station. That never happened before.

(6) Does not switch from WiFi to 4G without rebooting.

(7) When dialing a number, the first digit bleeps for an annoyingly long time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jtlapp,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you have been having with your phone. Sounds like a couple of things going on with the phone. When you say the device gets hot, how hot does the device get? Are you able to hold the device? Any signs of smoking or melting?

Try placing the device in Safe Mode: http://vz.to/S6SzYF . Do these problems persist in safemode?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jtlapp

Thanks for responding Brian. I do not think it was dangerously hot, but certainly hotter than I recall it ever being. I've been rebooting it after each use, so I'm not sure how hot it gets. Rebooting stops the run-away battery drain.

Safe mode appears to eliminate the problem, but it also seems to disable my apps. Prior to booting in safe mode, it was clear that running gmail would start the battery draining fast.

Thankfully, safe mode enabled the phone to be charged this evening when Google Now sent me a tornado warning. This was the closest I've ever been to a tornado. Unfortunately though, I was unable to go on twitter for updates and I ended up waiting out the storm in the bath tub far longer than I needed to. You guys ought to be treating phones as potentially life-saving devices and TEST your updates prior to releasing them. Sheesh.

I noticed the following additional problems prior to booting in safe mode:

(8) I get random reports of apps crashing, even if I'm not running the apps -- even after just booting. I recall Amazon Kindle being one of them.
(9) I got a notice for a text message but the text app did not show me any new text message. Everything I saw looked old. I was unable to manually clear the red indicator from the text app. This is the default text app. The number eventually cleared, though, perhaps after one of my reboots.

For the record, this phone was the best smartphone I have ever had, prior to this update. After the update, the phone is hardly usable. Safe mode seems to allow me to basic stuff, though, which is good.

Thanks again for having taken the time to respond. It shows that you're working on the problems.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Jtlapp, have you considered backing up all your personal content to a PC, like photos, music, videos, downloaded files, copying down email settings, important contacts, and sketching out where you've placed icons on your home screen, then performing a Factory Data Reset?

That is what I would do. Then after about three charge cycles, your battery runtime should be better as well as the other behaviors....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@jtlapp,

Thanks for trying that and keeping us posted.

If the issues stopped while in safe mode then I suggest backing up your phone and performing a hard reset http://vz.to/1mNh8Ct. In many cases a hard reset is necessary after major software updates. Make sure your 3rd party apps do not auto restore. Test for a few days without downloading any 3rd party and see if you notice a difference. Keep us posted.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
abalentine1
Enthusiast - Level 2

18 days, almost 3weeks, since I first posted and still no fix to the issues with KITKAT! I keep seeing the numerous issues with the KITKAT update and Motorola along with Verizon just keep closing their eyes to the issues.

Wifi/Bluetooth- Cannot be used at the same time, have to chose one or the other, so no streaming video on wifi with bluetooth headphones

Weak Wifi- Signal strength has gotten horrific- Use to be able to sit outside and connect to Wifi- now only have 15 ft range- could get almost 50ft prior to update- sons Droid Razr HD still can with JellyBean

No 4g- I have always had 4 bars of 4g in my house- now I only get 3g or the 1X- Sons JellyBean phone sitting next to mine has 4g, mine will not

Loss of Wifi and bluetooth- All of my Wifi and bluetooth saved connections are gone and on some cannot connect- Can no longer connect to the hands free in my truck.

Corp Sync- Corp sync has quit working completely- only a manual push will work. I have missed numerous meeting updates and emails due to the sync not working.This is critical for business users. I have arrived at my job location only to find out that a meeting had been moved to over 70 miles away, the email was sent the day prior, (needless to say I missed the meeting)!

I have performed: reboot- soft reboot; partition clean; remove and reinstall exchange account; and Factory Data Reset.

My I.T. guy in our corp. office says that I am not the only one- EVERY phone with the KITKAT update has similar issues, this is over 50 phones! That only the new phones that are loaded with KitKAT are working- less than 10. Now they are talking about making us switch to the I-Crap. Something needs to be done to fix the issues with KitKat.

David7861
Enthusiast - Level 3
ua2377
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too am experiencing MANY issues!

WiFi signal has gone to next to nothing (then switches to data plan..)

I can no longer take good video, it skips and jumps...

I can no longer watch videos cleanly...Netflix, personal videos, youtube, all jumpy

my 4g is in and out, goes to 3g...or just stops...

my phone restarts itself 4 or 5 times a day...

it locks up often...

I get a message box that states...sorry, amazon, or whatever other app. has stopped, 20 times a day...

I cannot attach pics to text all the time...

NONE OF THESE ISSUES WERE THERE THE HOUR BEFORE THE UPGRADE!!!

I spent lots of time with Verizon troubleshooting...no dice there...one guy even said that due to a crack on my phone, that's why these issues are there...please note, I cracked the top of the screen the third day I had this phone...no issues then, or for nearly the year since...no there is!

They directed me to Motorola...Motorola said its Verizon, but had me do the same steps as Verizon...Verizon then said, oh its googles issue.

I am stuck with this phone til I either PAY outright for a new one, or I get the contract redo discount in 14 months!!!

0 Likes