Re: KitKat Upgrade is horrible for Droid RAZR Maxx HD - Major issues - Horrible testing
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Uniqd,

Software updates are made to enhance the device! I am sorry to hear that this has not occured. Have your processed a soft reset on the device since the software update http://vz.to/1rgkrsJ ? Has there been any liquid or physical damage to the device? Place the device in safe mode to see if the pop ups, keyboard and battery life improve http://vz.to/1rgkFQy .

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: KitKat Upgrade is horrible for Droid RAZR Maxx HD - Major issues - Horrible testing
Droid_Usr

The above problems with the Droid Razr Maxx I'm sure are troublesome.

However, the problem I'm having difficulties with involved Quick Office after the Kit Kat update. It will not open email attachments, which is very bothersome for me specifically since I'm the IT support at the company I work for, and all our salesmen use the Droid Razr Maxx and are now calling me asking how to open email attachments.

While, I'm aware I could turn to some other app that would probably work, it would be SO much easier to find a fix for quick office, instead of having to reload all of the salesmen's phones with an additional app after they are all familiar with using Quick Office.

Any insight?

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

If QuickOffice is already installed, what is the program that is attempting to open the email attachment instead? If you knew that, you could go into Settings | Application manager, scroll to All, then down till you find that other program, press on it, and select clear defaults so it is no longer the default program attempting to open that type of file. Now when you attempt to open that file type, if there is more than one program capable of doing so, you will be given a dialog when you attempt to open that file, and you can change your selection for the default, hopefully to QuickOffice.

Or - going at this differently, what is the extension on the file that is the attachment? If .PDF for example, you could download Acrobat and when you go to open the file, a dialog will appear, and you can select the application Acrobat or another you wish to use by default like QuickOffice.

0 Likes
Droid_Usr

Quick Office is attempting to open the applications, but does not complete the process. I have found that instead of 'View' from the email, if you Export it to a folder, Quick Office will open it. Even though, I'm getting some salesmen that say it still will not on their phone, but without having their phone I can't be sure if it will or not. Not all the salesmen are tech savvy.

I may have to switch to a different office app; since it's being a headache, and even though switching will be it's own headache it may be less of one. I have salesmen spread over the country, so they just can't stop by the office for me to look at it. New install it shall be, probably Kingsoft. 😕

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Ahhh. Interesting.

You know, it's possible, specially if they are not that savvy, the REAL issue for these Salesmen could be, they aren't downloading the complete message first. So the attached file isn't fully on their phone, and therefore, they cannot open it, regardless of application associated with that file extension.

Have them check their email settings, and if necessary, maybe they need to opt to download attachments by default.

0 Likes
Droid_Usr

I put Lotus Traveler on their phones before I gave it to them; which is the mobile email client that we use. So, their email and attachment settings are correct. I've begun the process with a couple salesmen this morning having them download Kingsoft and so far that is working for them.

Fingers crossed that the rest will be as easy.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

OK. Understood. I've used that particular suite and find fairly good compatibility.

0 Likes
BurlyAl

Most troubling thing for me since the automatic update which I of course accepted, is that my battery life now is unable to get me through a workday.  As mentioned by uniqd, day and a half was the norm and now cannot get through to 5 p.m.  Help, help, help PLEASE!

0 Likes
David7861
Enthusiast - Level 3

We can offer assistance here as well, what is going on?

IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT.
We want the old version back

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BurlyAl We understand how important the battery issue has become for some users after the KitKat update. there has been success found with some basic troubleshooting steps. Fisrt, place the device in Safe Mode and see if that helps http://vz.to/1rgkFQy . Also, adjust screen timeout settings under settings,display, sleep and brightness.

Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes