Just bought a new Droid Razr Maxx yesterday. WI-FI doesn't work at all.
Charlie_VT

Bought a new Droid Razr Maxx yesterday 9/23/12. Everything on it works just fine, except Wi-Fi. My phone doesn't even search for networks. I bring up the wi-fi menu and it's just blank. I hit scan and nothing happens. I restarted my phone a few times and it finally brought some up (although they're gone now) and when I tried to connect it would just practically ignore my requests. I'd enter the password in, hit "connect" and absolutely nothing would happen. This isn't just a problem with my home router, It doesn't find/recognize any wireless networks at my major university either. I've never had an issue like this. What can I do? Maybe I should just take it back to my local Verizon store?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Just bought a new Droid Razr Maxx yesterday. WI-FI doesn't work at all.
Charlie_VT

P.S. ----- 4G works awesome, but i'm a data stickler and am pretty active on my phone. I'm around wi-fi a lot during the day so I prefer to use that.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Have you Tried doing a Soft Reset Charlie ?

0 Likes
Charlie_VT

How do I go about doing that, and what does that do?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

To do a Soft Reset You Hold the Volume Down and the Power at the Same Time till the Phone Shuts off let go of the Buttons and the Maxx will re-power itself up.. Give the Wi-Fi another Shot

Here is how to set up your Wi-Fi and since your New to this OS on this phone have a Look at this Link for some Extra Advice:  On the Link your Going to it also has Via PDF the Owners Manual witch is really Informative..  B33Smiley Happy

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p/30,6720,8417

How do I set up and troubleshoot Wi-Fi issues?

Follow these steps to set up and troubleshoot Wi-Fi wireless Internet access.

Note: The DROID RAZR will only operate on the 2.4 GHz frequency and will not work on the 5GHz frequency.

Quick links

Wi-Fi set up instructions for Android 4.X (Ice Cream Sandwich) users    

Activate Wi-Fi

Obtain the MAC address

Using Mobile Hotspot 

Wireless Lan Supported Specs

Set Wi-Fi to work smarter, not harder

Troubleshooting  

Unable to stream any media when connected to Wi-Fi network, but can still surf using the web browser...     

Ruckus WiFi router issue 

Activate Wi-Fi

To turn Wi-Fi on and connect to a wireless network:

1. From the home screen press the menu key.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Wireless and networks.
  4. Touch the Wi-Fi check box to turn Wi-Fi on.
    The phone will scan for available wireless networks.
  5. Tap Wi-Fi settings.
    The network names and security settings (Open network or Secured with WEP) of detected Wi-Fi networks are displayed in the Wi-Fi networks section.
  6. Tap a Wi-Fi network to connect. When you select an open network, you will be automatically connected to the network. When you select a network that is secured with WEP, enter the WEP (security) key and then touchConnect.

Obtain the MAC addressTo obtain the MAC address:

1. From the applications tray, tap Settings.
  2. Tap About Phone.
  3. Tap Status and scroll to Wi-Fi Mac address.

Using Mobile Hotspot. Click here to learn more.

Wireless Lan Supported Specs

• 802.11b/g/n
  • WEP
  • WPA/WPA2 PSK
  • 802.1x EAP

Set Wi-Fi to work smarter, not harderTo save battery power, give your Wi-Fi connection a rest when you're not using it. Use the Wi-Fi sleep policy to set your Wi-Fi connection to sleep when the display turns off and reconnect when it turns on.

1. From the Home screen, press the menu key > Settings.
  2. Touch Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings.
  3. Press the menu key > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy.
  4. Touch When screen turns off.

TroubleshootingNote: A software update is now rolling out, and includes enhancements in Wi-Fi performance and more. Click here for full details.Unable to establish connection with the phone

• The wireless network may not be in range or has too of a weak signal to provide a successful connection. Check the signal bar to ensure you have strong connection.
  • Re-enter the key on the phone to match the key configured on the router. Make sure that the encryption type and security settings match on the router and phone.
  • If WEP encryption is in use, check that the key configured on the router matches the key entered on the phone.
  • The wireless network you're attempting to connect to may be configured for static IP addresses only. Check with the system administrator for an IP address assignment.
  • Unplug the power from your router, turn the phone off. Plug back in your router first, then wait for 1 minute and then turn on your phone.

Can't connect to Internet

• Try a different URL or web site address.
  • Disconnect and try connecting to the network again.
  • Enter correct Password (WEP-WAP/WPA key).
  • If connected via a commercial Wi-Fi hotspot, such as the ones at Borders or Starbucks, we recommend renewing the hotspot's DHCP lease.
  • Unplug the power from your router, turn the phone off. Plug back in your router first, then wait for 1 minute and then turn on your phone.

Cannot connect to certain web sites using HotSpot

• A software update is now rolling out, and includes enhancements in HotSpot performance and more. Click here for full details

Ruckus WiFi router issueIssue: Device does not connect to Ruckus WiFi router (example model#: 2825)

Description: In DHD11 TA3 we have an IP address conflict between the LTE IP address and the default gateway address with the Ruckus router.

Work around: Change the default gateway address on the router as follows:
Login Router through Browser: http://192.168.20.1
User name: user
Password: password
(user name and pass written on AP)
goto "Local network" under Configuration section on the Left side.
change the field in : "Local IP Address" from 192.168.20.1 to
Change  :"Starting Address" from 192.168.20.2 to 192.168.0.2
click update settings.
Note: We become aware of an issue with a certain Wi-Fi router Router: Netgear N600 WNDR3400, that may experience loss of Internet Connectivity on Wi-Fi signal with the DROID RAZR MAXX.Here's our solution for this issue:

1. Go to the wireless settings for the Netgear router from a browser on your PC by going to192.168.1.1
  2. On the Router Manager screen, go to the Setup section in the left hand column and select Wireless Settings
  3. Under the Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n) section change the channel from Auto to a static channel of your choosing. (Any number from 01 -11)
  4. Scroll down to the bottom of the Wireless Settings screen and select Apply.

Cannot connect using Netgear WNR3500

• If you are unable to connect try we changing the router security to something even more secure than WEP, (i.e. WPA or WPA2).

For Android 4.X (Ice Cream Sandwich) users.

TURN WI-FI POWER ON OR OFF

Touch Menu Image > System settings, then touch the Wi-Fi power switch to turn it Image or Image.Note: To extend battery life, turn off Wi-Fi power when not in use.

WI-FI SEARCH & CONNECT

When Wi-Fi is on, the Wi-Fi in range indicator Image appears in the status bar when a network is available. Drag down the status bar and touch the Wi-Fi networks available notification to select and connect to a network.To search for a network when Wi-Fi is off:

1. Touch Menu Image > System settings > Wi-Fi.
  2. Touch the Wi-Fi power switch to turn it Image and scan. Your smartphone lists the networks it finds within range.Tip: To see your smartphone’s MAC address or other Wi-Fi details, touch Menu Image > Advanced.
  3. Touch a network to connect. If necessary, enter Network SSID, Security, and Password, and touch Connect.

When your smartphone is connected to the network, the Wi-Fi connected indicator Image appears in the status bar.Tip: When you are in range and Wi-Fi power is on, you will automatically reconnect to available networks you’ve connected to before.

WI-FI HOTSPOT

You can make your smartphone a Wi-Fi hotspot to provide portable, convenient Internet access to other Wi-Fi enabled devices.Caution: This application significantly impacts battery life. You may want to run this application with the charger connected.Note: You need to subscribe to Wi-Fi hotspot service to use this feature. Contact Verizon Wireless for details.To set up your smartphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot:

1. Touch Menu Image > System settings > Tethering & Mobile Hotspot > Mobile Hotspot to turn on the hotspot.
  2. Touch Mobile Hotspot settings > Configure Mobile Hotspot to change hotspot security and configuration settings:
    • Network SSID: Enter a unique name for your hotspot and touch Next.
    • Security: Select the type of security you want: WEP, WPA, or WPA2. Enter a unique password. Other users can access your Wi-Fi hotspot only if they enter the correct password.Note: Keep it secure. To protect your smartphone and hotspot from unauthorized access, it is strongly recommended that you set up hotspot Security (WPA2 is the most secure), including password.
    • Broadcast Channel: Select a channel that minimizes potential interference. You may need to try different channels after your hotspot is active for a time.
  3. Touch Save when the settings are complete.

When your Wi-Fi hotspot is active, other Wi-Fi enabled devices can connect by entering your hotspot’s SSID, selecting a Securitytype, and entering the correct Password.

0 Likes
Charlie_VT

Nothing happened. Like before, NO wi-fi connections are even apparent. just a blank screen. wi-fi is switched to on. I can hit scan all I want and nothing will appear.

0 Likes
lvv

Hi everyone!

I have a similar problem:

My RAZR MAXX is not connected to my home router.
Empirically determined that connects, but when router mode 802.11b only.

In all other router modes (b/g, b/g/n, g, g/n, n) the connection is not happening - but phone sees my home network. Status "Obtainian IP address..." lasts indefinitely. Phone is 1 meter away from the router and says that "Signal strength - Fair".
Another of the same phone with the same firmware (4.1.2 JB) connects without any problems.

What is it - hardware or software problems?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Are you making sure you have the Correct User Name and Password and is the Router up to Date on its updates.. Doesn't hurt to Check...

0 Likes
lvv

My home network is open - not required password

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Man i wouldn't do that i would lock it Down tight as a Drum Some body finds the signal from you Router there going to have fun on your Service. I had that happen to me a Long time ago learned my lesson's stopped it by locking it Down my speeds went back up again.

You can do this if you want Just let your Friends or your Family use the Router you can allow them the Password when they leave your place there phone will Disconnect from the Router. And it's back to just you using it..

0 Likes