Impact of Factory Reset
JJAC2843
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there any way I can back up my apps so that I can avoid re-downloading and re-installing all of them after a factory reset? The chat folks at Motorola tell me I will lose everything. I can see that I can backup and restore my photos, and I have contacts via Gmail and mail saved in a client and archive. But I really hate the idea of spending hours downloading and re-installing all the apps, and even remembering which ones I have may be somewhat challenging. Thanks in advance for any help here. .

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Impact of Factory Reset
B33
Legend

Yes there are Apps that can Save your Apps but you can Also do this once your Reset and your done setting your Accounts back up go into PlayStore and get one of the apps you know and Download it And at that Point you can Go back to the Store and while at the Main screen of it Tap your Setting or Menu Button the Three horizontal bars it will bring up a Stores List Tap my Apps Go there and while Slide the Page to " all " and in that Column should be the Apps you had Bought or Free.. b33

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Check out this post about Backing up and restoring apps for free...   https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/658707

This method only does apps and does not save user data, another option is a app called MyBackup from Play Store..

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab289/wildman3064132/AstroBackup.gif

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Hey Wildman thanks for the Info and your Animated Instructions are Back ye ha! b

0 Likes
JJAC2843
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks to everyone for all the help here. I still have concerns. one is, if I use one of these backup apps, then where do I find the master lists or the backup files to restore? Surely not on the phone, so where? My second concern is that the clearest benefit at this point seems to be to junk the phone and cancel the contract as another expensive mistake. My point of view is the phone has never been better than 3 out of 10 since the day I bought it, and I am using less than  10% of the services I pay Verizon for. Now the phone is functioning at 1 out of 10, so what I am facing is spending hours on a reset and restore that will at best get me back to 3. Is that worth the trouble? I will probably do it anyway, since like most people i hate to admit mistakes of this magnitude. Please let me know the details of how those back up apps work - I looked at the one BB recommended,  but I don't understand the specifics of how I would use it to avoid spending many hours on a restore. Thanks again for your help. (This morning for example the phone has been on for several hours and is still not doing more than telling me that X is not responding, close, wait, ok? - where X is maps, google, Motorolo input, MyMusic (never used), Facebook (never used) ... etc.). Junk. Worse than Windows 3.
0 Likes
B33
Legend

Your Welcome b33

0 Likes
JJAC2843
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, thanks again. But to do this I have to rely on the phone to work correctly after reset. I have no confidence that it will, so I will try the other solutions instead.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Ok  good Luck b33Smiley Happy

0 Likes
JJAC2843
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok, so after fiddling with ES File Manager and giving up on understanding what to do with it, I used your procedure (after making a manual list just to be safe, which turned out to be unnecessary.).

1. At this point, I have spent cumulatively about six hours on the restore process, including all the settings, customization, and so forth (but not yet the groups). Major source of irritation and more evidence that the thing is junk, but not enough reason to throw it away.

2. Surprisingly, the GPS worked right away. I did not have to fiddle with secondary apps, and it got a fix immediately. Previously I would have to wait an hour or more for a fix, if I got one at all.

3. Probably not surprisingly, the Bluetooth does not work at all. It was working OK but erratically before the reset. I am guessing that a reboot may help, and of course if not then that will be cause to throw it away. Last week when the telephone functions stopped working a reboot got them back, so maybe that will work for the Bluetooth.

I am posting this so you know the results - if there is anything new when I finish over the next few days I will let you know that too. And of course anyone else who maybe following this discussion because they also have a junk phone may also be interested in how it works out.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

your welcome..  file management with some can be a little hard to adjust to or to Learn i tried that app some time ago i got the free Version the paid might do a little more and have more settings to work with) i would ask Wildman and see if there is Quite a bit of a Difference.. 

0 Likes