I have the Droid Razr Maxx HD and I cannot send multimedia messages while connected to WiFi.
VictoriaCarestia

I have a mobile data "signal," but need to disconnect from WiFi whenever I want to send a multimedia message, including a group message. I can receive multimedia messages while connected to WiFi, sending them is the only issue. Is this a common issue? And is there a fix for it?

It's very inconvenient as my phone is almost always connected to WiFi and I often use group messages for work.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I have the Droid Razr Maxx HD and I cannot send multimedia messages while connected to WiFi.
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Multimedia and picture messages won't send/receive over wi-fi, they require a mobile data connection.

OP:  When both wi-fi and mobile data are turned on, yes, the phone should seamlessly switch between the two as needed for photo/multimedia texts.  But sometimes they don't for whatever reason.  Some phones have a setting called Auto Network Switch in the wi-fi settings that needs to be checked so that the phone will switch between the two.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: I have the Droid Razr Maxx HD and I cannot send multimedia messages while connected to WiFi.
greengrass95
Contributor - Level 2

It sounds like a WI-Fi issue you are having. Did you try to connect to a different Wi-Fi and see if you are having the same problem? If it works with a different Wi-Fi, then your Wi-Fi can use a firmware update.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Multimedia and picture messages won't send/receive over wi-fi, they require a mobile data connection.

OP:  When both wi-fi and mobile data are turned on, yes, the phone should seamlessly switch between the two as needed for photo/multimedia texts.  But sometimes they don't for whatever reason.  Some phones have a setting called Auto Network Switch in the wi-fi settings that needs to be checked so that the phone will switch between the two.

0 Likes
VictoriaCarestia

It's an issue with any WiFi connection - work, home, public.

0 Likes
VictoriaCarestia

Thanks! I checked and my phone doesn't seem to have that option.

I didn't have this issue a few months ago though, it just popped up around January/February.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

VictoriaCarestia,

We want to get those MMS flowing and I understand how important it is to send them. All multimedia messages need to go over cellular network. This means to send and receive, you need to have wi-fi off, otherwise you will see an error message. You should be able to turn it on and off from the notification bar.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
sjw060880

Don't believe someone who tells you that you have to turn off WiFi - I FINALLY got someone who knew what they were doing at VZW - and she had me do the following - and VOILA - it worked!  This is a known issue and level 2 support has access to many similar cases

Call VZW Tech support and tell them you want them to do the following:

1. You turn off your phone

2. They "Refresh the network on the voice and text side"

3. They "Sync network with billing"

4. You turn your phone back on

This solved my problem......

0 Likes
cheetah15
Contributor - Level 1

All pics, etc.. sent or received through Verizon require a mobile data connection.  The data used to send/receive texts does Not count against your data package.

0 Likes