How to Get GPS to Start on Start up?
jcdwyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to have the GPS service start on start up. I have a location service that only works when the GPS is on. However GPS only starts when I urn on a app that uses the service. I would like to have it turn on when I start my Razr.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: How to Get GPS to Start on Start up?
Not applicable

On my Motorola Droid Razr Maxx running JB, if the GPS is on when I shut down the phone, it's still on when I start the phone.  It only goes off if I turn it off, then it stays off until I turn it on.

0 Likes
jcdwyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my Razr the GPS service is enabled on startup but I cannot locate the phone using the location service (AVG Remote Management) unless an app that uses GPS is running. For instance I cannot locate the phone unless Google Maps is running. Remote access is useless then unless I always have Google Maps or a like app running all the time. There must be a way for the GPS to run in the background so that remote access can work.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I think that's an issue with whatever app you're using.  Maybe you need to ask the developer of the app.  I just look in my pocket and there's the phone.

0 Likes
jcdwyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Trust me I leave my phone all over the place. I need the service.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

There are multiple apps you can install on the RAZR from the Play Store.

These would include, but are not limited to, Android Lost, Find My Friends and Lookout Security & Antivirus.

0 Likes
jcdwyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate that and as indicated earlier in the thread I use AVG Remote. The service works great when the GPS is running, not just enabled. I am sure that the apps you mentioned also use GPS so the issue will remain the same. How do I get GPS running in the backgroud on  start up?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, the apps I mentioned use GPS, but apparently they do not need another app to be running/using GPS in order to work.

These apps will work in the manner you had requested, at startup without another app running which is using GPS.

0 Likes
jcdwyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

0 Likes
jcdwyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looks like Lookout will work fine. Thanks!