How do you stop or remove Backup Assistant?
Kean
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wife and I have had our Maxx HD phones for a few weeks now and it wasn't until recently that I noticed this feature (which I do not want) keeps trying to sync.  My only option is to change the time which it performs this function.  I cannot disable it (that button is greyed out in the app menu), there is no update to remove (as I have seen other suggest in some discussions), etc.  I also logged in a few times to disable the feature on my account (via PC) but it is not selected.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yesterday, I moved the sync time from midnight to 6am.  ....and I awoke to see the app trying to sync several times.  The short of it is that I do not want my personal contact information stored anywhere other than my phone.  This is really frustrating.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: How do you stop or remove Backup Assistant?
Kean
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went through 2 levels of support on the phone just a few minutes ago but I received the answer to my problem.  It’s quite simple in fact.  ….basically, disable the Sync Service in the apps menu.  Clearing the cache, etc. and force stopping the BA apps prior to this may be a good idea just in case.  I knew the Sync Service was tied to Backup Assistant but what I didn’t know was that it was exclusive to those services.  In other words, disabling it will not affect anything else except for BA (so I am told). 

I don’t know why other responses from support I have seen posted in these forums regarding the same subject have not suggested this, but hopefully this helps someone else who may find themselves in my position.

0 Likes
Kean
Enthusiast - Level 3

....I should clarify that this solution does not actually "disable" or "stop" the BA application from running.  It will however keep it from trying to sync.  If anyone knows how to actually disable this thing, it would be much appreciated.  It would be nice if Verizon would allow those of us who do not wish to use such services to at least disable them.

0 Likes
njmagic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Phones have advanced to the point of the PC.  Applications run all the time on PCs that you aren't aware of and then they shut down.  BA must be like that too.  Yes, on windows PCs you can go in and disable the service from running.  Android has something similar.  Go to settings, scroll down to Apps, find the app you want to disable, tap on it, then you should see force stop and disable.   I don't think this is permanant.  If you restart your phone it will probably start again.   But with your sync solution, it won't sync again.

0 Likes
Kean
Enthusiast - Level 3

Comparisons to a PC OS aside (a big difference being that bloatware for the most part is able to be removed in that scenario), this particular Verizon application (BA) is not able to be disabled on my phone.  You can force stop without issue and even clear the data/cache, but the "Disable" button is grayed out.  Thankfully they make some of the other pre-installed applications I don't wish to use disable-able.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey Kean!

Thank you for bringing your concerns on Backup Assistant to the forefront. Additionally, not only do I appreciate your feedback but also the steps you've taken to work on making sure a service that you don't utilize keeps from bothering you.

Now, I'm beyond glad to know that you were able to speak with our technicians on the application and how it works with your device so as to stop all syncs. To be honest though, while you should not longer be bothered with updates or these syncs, since Backup Assistant is a pre-installed and featured application it cannot be fully disabled or removed from your device. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know.

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

This is actually a very simple thing to do and there are 2 ways to do it.

1) from the home screen click on the menu button and select Manage Apps.

2) Scroll down to the Backup Assistant and select it (there are multiple here so you might need to look for the right one)

3) Uninstall Updates

4) Disable (only one of the versions will allow you to disable it, but that is the main program that actually connects to Backup Assistant)

The other way (or in addition to)

Call Verizon and tell them you need to change your Backup Assistant Password. Let them change it on their side and then do NOT put the pin into your phone. Backup Assistant will never be able to connect to your phone.

Now a more drastic way to do this (and it has been worth it to me in the past) is do a FDR on the phone and when you are going through the setup phase, skip over the Backup assistant setup options. I would also go in and Disable Backup Assistant as well.

Kean
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks but that is what I already concluded in my earlier post. I am unable to disable or remove those associated apps so I guess I just have to put up with them uselessly running in the background from time to time gobbling resources.  ....oh well. It is what it is and no amount of complaining will seem to keep companies like Verizon from forcing these types of things down our throats.  They are certainly not alone in the use of such things.

0 Likes
Kean
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks but as I said earlier, there is no option to remove an "update" and no way (in OEM form) to disable or remove these applications. As far as resetting the account, I already disabled the service responsible for synching to their servers as described so that is not a problem anymore.

0 Likes
Markmuffin

Hey Kean. As a costumer of this crap. I appreciate what you mean. Unlike you I can disable mine or even hit the sync button off. I have a Galaxy S3. Which i like a lot better than my previous Incredible 2. But it "holding" Your info will never get out. I've done a lot of illegal stuff on my phone but it's your property. No one else's. So not having it sync isn't that bad.

No hurt no foul.

0 Likes