How do I delete e-mails in bulk?
FalconRaider

How can I do a mass delete of most, or all, of my emails without having to tap every one individually?  On my older phone, there was a 'select all' checkmark in the email window which would allow me to select hundreds of emails, then unselect the few I wanted to keep.  But tapping each email message individually is a pain.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How can I do a mass delete of all (or most of) my emails without having to tap each individual one? (There used to be a 'select all' checkmark on my old email window.)
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm assuming you're using the stock e-mail app?  If so, with the Inbox open, long-press the first e-mail you want to delete; it should then have a color bar over it and a checkmark to the left.  At the top of the screen, tap the icon that looks like a box with a check in it (it's the 'select all' button); all the e-mails in the Inbox should now have that color bar and a checkmark to the left.  Tap the trashcan at the top of the screen.

Then in the Trash folder, If you want all the e-mails in the Trash folder deleted, tap Empty Trash at the top of the screen.  If you want to save some of the e-mails rather than delete them, highlight any e-mails you don't want to delete by again pressing on them until they have the color bar and a checkmark at the left; you can then tap the three dots in the upper right-hand corner and move them back to the Inbox if you want.  Once done, tap the trashcan at the top of the screen to completely remove the e-mails from the Trash folder.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: How can I do a mass delete of all (or most of) my emails without having to tap each individual one? (There used to be a 'select all' checkmark on my old email window.)
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm assuming you're using the stock e-mail app?  If so, with the Inbox open, long-press the first e-mail you want to delete; it should then have a color bar over it and a checkmark to the left.  At the top of the screen, tap the icon that looks like a box with a check in it (it's the 'select all' button); all the e-mails in the Inbox should now have that color bar and a checkmark to the left.  Tap the trashcan at the top of the screen.

Then in the Trash folder, If you want all the e-mails in the Trash folder deleted, tap Empty Trash at the top of the screen.  If you want to save some of the e-mails rather than delete them, highlight any e-mails you don't want to delete by again pressing on them until they have the color bar and a checkmark at the left; you can then tap the three dots in the upper right-hand corner and move them back to the Inbox if you want.  Once done, tap the trashcan at the top of the screen to completely remove the e-mails from the Trash folder.

0 Likes
FalconRaider

IT WORKS! Many thanks. Even the Verizon kids at my local store couldn't answer this question for me.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome.

0 Likes