How do I clear or remove "Places" search?
sista_fatti

Motorola Razr Maxx HD

My phone came equiped with numerous applications one of which is an app titled "Places" I conducted a search of a number of businesses and those search lists still appear when I access the "Places" app and depress the magnifying glass search icon. I want to remove or clear all of the locations listed but can find no way to do so.

Steps I have taken so far:

• Spent one and one half hours conducting research on the Internet with no success.
  • Representative at Verizon store spend 45 minutes trying to delete the list with no success.
  • Spent one hour on a chat with Motorola representative who led me through numerous steps with no success
  • I have opened the app and then depressed the settings button which gave options to clear cache. That did not work. A message below the clear cach button indicated that I should perform the action through system settings but.............The "Places" app is not shown in the list of apps running on my phone and in addition is not listed under the "all" tab in "manage apps".. So far, the "experts" are dumbfounded and so am I. Does anyone have a solution? I can't even delete the app because there are no options to delete or disable within the app itself.

If someone responds, hope I can find the response since this if first time I have used this forum.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: How do I clear or remove "Places" search?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe the "Places" is tied to the Google Maps application. Try clearing the search for the Maps app.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sista_fatti

thanks for your response but that didn't work either. Guess a solution is just not possible.

0 Likes
Glitch
Enthusiast - Level 3

I believe clearing hte Google Maps search history will solve your porblem. Reading your entire post it appears you have not tried this yet.

http://support.google.com/gmm/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1650278

Clear Maps data and history

Google Maps stores items you’ve searched for to make it easy to search for them again later. You can clear your search history in the Settings application.

1. Open your device's Settings application
  2. Select Applications > Manage applications.
  3. Touch the All tab.
  4. Touch Maps in the scrolling list.
  5. Touch Clear data.

WARNING: Clear data is not a reversible action.

Good Luck!

0 Likes
sista_fatti

Well, I was hoping your suggestion would work but still no success. Must be a bug in the app. Thanks for responding

0 Likes
Glitch
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is surprising. It worked for me.  Perhaps we do not understand you actual issue.  For startes my Razr Maxx is not the HD version, but it did not come with an app called "Places".   The Google Play app store, does have an called "Places" but it is made by a company called Dicy and looks suspicious.  I would not install it, and doubt it was preinstalled by Verizon. 

So I am assuming the "Places" app you are referring to is the list of searched for locations in the Google Maps app.

But if you do indeed have an app called "places" you might wan to try the instructions above, but instead of Clearing the Data on the Maps app, clear it for the Places app.  If you see "Places" listed under Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All Tab, slecet it and hten hit the Clear data button.

0 Likes
sista_fatti

Therein lies the problem. The "Places" app is not listed under "Manage

Apps" which I have found to be very strange. "Manage Apps" does list other

apps such as "Sticky Note" that I don't see when I depress the regular

apps button. So...the app I want to manage is not listed.

0 Likes