How do I change main gmail account for google on phone?
MoSecure

I want to switch the gmail accounts within my google account so that the other one is the priimary account designated to sync the mail, calendar, contacts and books but I cannot figure it out and I have spent hours.  Please help!  This is on my new Droid Razr.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I change main gmail account for google on phone?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Everything I have seen suggests that in order to remove the primary gmail address from an Android phone requires a factory reset.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
GetS2pd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Go to Settings / Accounts then remove/delete the Gmail accounts. Then go back and add the accounts again but add the desired default account first.

0 Likes
MoSecure

If I do that, it resets the phone to factory settings.  There's no other way??

0 Likes
GetS2pd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why would it reset to factory settings? It's just account info and doesn't affect the Android system info.

It may take a bit:

-for the phone to sync the accounts (mail, contacts, etc)

-for you to change notifications (ringtone, LED, etc)

-for you to edit contacts if they were joined with other contact info (Facebook, Twitter, etc)

0 Likes
MoSecure

It was set up by Verizon as my google account w/gmail for data & synchronization.  When I press the button to remove the account it asks if I'm sure because it will remove the contacts, etc, and I press ok.  The next screen tells me some of these things are required for applications, am I sure because the only way to remove the account is to return the phone to factory setting which will remove all personal data.

0 Likes
GetS2pd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Now that I think more about it, try deleting all other Gmail accounts and leave the desired default account alone. The phone should then make it the default Gmail account. Then add the other accounts.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Everything I have seen suggests that in order to remove the primary gmail address from an Android phone requires a factory reset.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rbritto201
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes