How do I assign specific alerts for individual contacts in a group text?
DroidUser815

In the Verizon Message+ app, if I have a custom alert for a contact, and that contact includes me in a group text, I do not get alerted w/ that contact's custom ringtone, I get my default tone.

As a hopefully quick example, let's say my default alert is AlertX. I have a contact A w/ custom alert AlertA, and contact B w/ custom alert AlertB.

If contact A sends a group text to me and contact B, the alert that the Message+ app plays is the AlertX, my default one. Since the message is from contact A, I would have expected the alert to be AlertA, but it is not. I can go into the group conversation and set a custom alert for it, but then that custom alert fires whether contact A or B talk in that particular group conversation.

Using a Droid Turbo.

Am I doing something wrong? Getting made fun of by an iPhone user cuz the iPhone natively does this "correctly". A group text from a contact w/ a custom alert in place plays that custom alert, just like it does if that contact sends a direct message (no group). So you can always tell a message is from a particular contact. It may be a group text or not, but you still know who it's from w/o picking up the phone.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Alerts for Group Messages
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DroidUser815 let's make sure your alerts are working as they should. What I was able to confirm is that, based on the functionality of the Messages+ app, it is performing as it should. When a text is from a single contact, the custom alert set up for that contact is working properly. When the message is from a group however, it won't single out the contact and use that custom greeting. It will use the default tone.
RosanneM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DroidUser815 let's make sure your alerts are working as they should. What I was able to confirm is that, based on the functionality of the Messages+ app, it is performing as it should. When a text is from a single contact, the custom alert set up for that contact is working properly. When the message is from a group however, it won't single out the contact and use that custom greeting. It will use the default tone.
RosanneM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DroidUser815

Ok, great thanks for looking into that. I for one would rather have a group text from a particular individual use the custom alert set up for that individual, is there a way to get feature requests into the app team?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DroidUser815 it is always a pleasure.  We are always happy to uplift your ideas and suggestions.  We appreciate your feedback and continued loyalty to the Verizon family.   Remember, we are always a click away.   
RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes