Heat and Battery Drain
sandbugphone

Ok, so the first couple of weeks my Droid Razr Maxx worked flawlessly.  After the update and a few added applications it now gets hot (I'd say at least 105 degrees) and the battery drains like crazy while on standby.  The screen is not active and I don't have external applications (Where's My Water, Amazon, etc) running and the phone will get hot and then the battery level goes to about 50% remaining. I Would rather not do a factory reset because I would have to reset everything back the way I like it.  I see others report low battery life, but anyone getting heat and battery drain both???  Solutions?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Heat and Battery Drain
livengood

Same thing just happened to mine right now.  I was holding it then it started getting warmer and warmer and so i thought that it was just my hand warming it up.  then i noticed that the battery was going down very quickly.  then it died and now it wont even put a charge on it.

0 Likes
sandbugphone

When my RAZR gets warm it won't even charge very fast.  It's been AC plugged in for about 2 hours now, warm the whole time, and still at 70% battery.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi sandbugphone!

It pains me to learn of the issue with your RAZR MAXX after the update. I'd love to help get to the bottom of this and provide you with some troubleshooting steps. I have checked the resources available to me and I am not showing that this is something that is a known issue w/this device.
How many apps do you have running in the background? Please remember to back out of apps when not in use. If this is not done, the battery can drain quickly, even when in standby. Here's a link that shows you how to save battery life, as well as many other pieces of information for your MAXX: http://bit.ly/Ss7g0g

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DenMan

I have had 3 of the phones now and all have overheated and drained the battery within as little as 3 hours in standby mode.  I have been working with Tier 2 Support off and on for months now, trying to isolate a cause, with no success.  The phone temperatures have on several occasions exceeded 120 degrees f.  The first phone got so hot you could not hold it in your hand without a case on it.  I have factory reset, cache reset, removed SD cards, used multiple variants of smart actions, tried airplane mode and many more theories without success.  The only thing that will save the battery is to shut the phone off, wihich kind of defeats the point of having the phone, as does having it in airplane mode most of the day.  The only consistent clue I have seen is that in "System Setting - Battery" the display of battery draining list, the "Media" entry dominates all others, often dwarfing all other drains on the battery, even when in constant standby mode after a factory reset, clean start.  Other than these issues I love the Razr Maxx, but I don't need a $600 Hand Warmer, I need a usable and reliable smart phone.  Oddly, in todays test phase, I had a phone call, which started with the phone showing 104 degrees when I started the call, and when I hung up it had dropped to 98 degrees.  However within half an hour in standby it was back up to 104 degrees.  Twenty minutes later I had to put it on the charger, as it was down to under 20% charge after being in standby for a total of 5 hours and a twenty minute phone call.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

What apps are you Running on that thing DenMan.. and are you using any Task Killers of any kind if so get rid of them.. My Maxx even on 4G and running an app like Slacker yesterday Morning played for 8 hours and i barley used any Battery at all and the temps never got any higher than 90 degrees. One thing i do on my Two Maxx's is i charge them in the off position for at least 5 to 6 hours and when i'm using them i let the Battery pull down to were my Maxx shuts off on its own and as i said i charge it for the time i Listed.. But i verily charge it with it on unless i absolutely need to do it that way. 

0 Likes