Google Messages app showing the incorrect number of unread texts
MikeyWay5
Enthusiast - Level 1

After the Nougat update, the number of unread texts for the Google Messages app is showing the wrong number.  Any ideas on how to get this to update to the correct number?  I tried clearing the cache for the app, and I also tried going into every single text thread that I have and opening it. Neither has changed the number.

Labels (2)
Re: Google Messages app showing the incorrect number of unread texts
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you have new messages under the Archive section of the application?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ruet

I get the same thing and it's not related to archived messages. Whenever a new txt arrives the number increments by one.

0 Likes
AGB2BPro
Enthusiast - Level 2

Based on the posts on Android Central and the Motorola community, this is happening to everyone. Hopefully a fix is coming soon.

0 Likes
CLICHA74

Same issue here. Updated to 7.0 and decided to give the messages app a try. I was using Messages+ by Verizon. I noticed that even though I had "read" all my text in the messages app, when I opened the Message+ app I saw I had one unread text.  Once I clicked on the text in the Message+ app my unread count on the Messages app cleared. So it seems like there is some interference there. I tried uninstalling or disabling all other messaging apps like message+, hangouts, and FB messenger but the problem still persisted. I went back to Message+ for now. Never had issues with it.

0 Likes
unknownwon
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only thing that seems to fix it is to delete all messages. It might be connected to using the notification reply feature but not sure.

0 Likes