After the Nougat update, the number of unread texts for the Google Messages app is showing the wrong number. Any ideas on how to get this to update to the correct number? I tried clearing the cache for the app, and I also tried going into every single text thread that I have and opening it. Neither has changed the number.
Could you have new messages under the Archive section of the application?
I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.
Based on the posts on Android Central and the Motorola community, this is happening to everyone. Hopefully a fix is coming soon.
Same issue here. Updated to 7.0 and decided to give the messages app a try. I was using Messages+ by Verizon. I noticed that even though I had "read" all my text in the messages app, when I opened the Message+ app I saw I had one unread text. Once I clicked on the text in the Message+ app my unread count on the Messages app cleared. So it seems like there is some interference there. I tried uninstalling or disabling all other messaging apps like message+, hangouts, and FB messenger but the problem still persisted. I went back to Message+ for now. Never had issues with it.
The only thing that seems to fix it is to delete all messages. It might be connected to using the notification reply feature but not sure.