Fatal Flaw in RAZR phones
mm75
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, I've read some posts about this situation and I talked to a colleague who used to own a RAZR.  Over time you'll start to notice your phone gets really hot.  Then, just past your warranty, you'll start to notice the back become squishy an begin to bulge (this is where mine is @ 17 months.) According to my colleague, the next phase is the battery stops holding a charge. I've read several posts stating that's what's happening to their phones.  My colleague said the next thing to happen is the battery will burst and leak fluid all over.  At this point, it's all over and you need a new phone. For my colleague and her husband, this happened a week apart when their phones were 20 months old.

I think Motorola and Verizon should issue a recall and provide an early upgrade option or a "loaner" until the contract renewal.  It's the only right thing to do.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Fatal Flaw in RAZR phones
B33
Legend

mm75 can you Share Were some of those places ARE that you have read that i'd be interested to See. I've got 2  Razr Maxx's  the first one I got was Last February and the 2 one that i Got just turned a year old around June 20). So far my two are doing fine they get warn on a occasion but other than that there doing OK.. But i would like to see some of the Info you have Read or point out were it was you found it.. If you care to share it. b33

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
rlhoward19791

I have noticed my get real hot when I have my usb cord hooked up to my pc. Just figured my pc was putting out to much power or it wasnt made to do that. I will keep on eye on it though just encase it starts to leak. Thanks.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well it best not to Hook any phone up to a PC and charge it that way) The best and safest way is to Just use what came with phone the Box OEM charger as it was Designed to charge the phone..

0 Likes
Duewester
Contributor - Level 2

Is it possible that your PC has USB 3.0 on it and you are plugged into a USB 3.0 port? The specs for USB 3.0 CAN provide up to 1500ma (charge only - no data transmission) on the port verses the 500ma from USB 2.0 that most older PC's provide.

JayVilla

There is a fatal flaw with these Droid Razr Maxx phones.  My phone just got to that time period where it's just pass the warranty period.

The kevlar on the back of the phone is swelling, bulging out due to the internal battery swelling.  It is a hazard because it does feel like it will burst at any moment.  I went into a verizon corporate store and they told me I had to call the Assurion insurance and pay the deductible to get it replaced because my screen had a crack.  A crack screen will void your warranty, that blew my mind, when it's a manufacturer defect and a safety issue they denied any sort of exchange.

So now I'm stuck, the insurance is 99 dollars, the phone isn't worth that anymore. Guess I'm finding a used phone from a friend until I can get off Verizon and their non helping selves.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

What was causing the Temps to go up.!  did you have apps running in the back ground, do you play allot a games,  did you have your back light set to stay on for a certain amount of time, my 2 razr's when i'm not using them run a just about in the range of 80 to 85 deg. I use an App called system to keep an eye on App activity, CPU activity Space used an battery and CPU temperature)  the app is called System Panel..

0 Likes