External Speaker Issue
floridared
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had my Droid Razr for a little over a month now and my external speaker has not been  working for a week so I took it in to the store and the verizon guy took it out of the case and  it started working; this was very frustrating because I had tried everything short of taking off the case. Now I have made it home and used the external speaker the whole way home. About an hour after being home tried to make a call using speaker phone and nothing, so I removed the case and still nothing. After seaching all forms about the topic I have found the solution. There is a short in the phone right below the speaker because once you rub or press right below the speaker it starts working fine for a time until it shorts out again. The tech at Verizon must have press under speaker while removing the case. Although this is a solution it is only temporary because my phone speaker has quit twice now after rubbing below the speaker. I want a replacement but I do not want a refurbished phone since I just paid 300 for a new one and have not dropped or damaged it in any way. If any on else is having this issue and I am sure there are because I have found more than one post on more than one form with people having the same issue time and time again.

Labels (2)
Re: External Speaker Issue
B33
Legend

Here's a Shot of the Speaker it's on the Razr But the One for  the Razr Maxx is the exact Same One..

Left Click on the picture to expand the Picture.. b33

Razr speaker.jpeg

0 Likes
B33
Legend

When looking at this Picture Zoomed in You can Clearly See Brass contacts that Associate with the Speaker And the Two Rectangle Contacts that they Meet up with.  When ones are saying there loosing the Ability of there Speakers this is making me think there not good enough Contact between them. An this could be caused by Expansion of the Phone from Heat When holding the Phone or Getting To Cold or some Foreign Material Getting Between the Contacts..b33

To any one that is having this issue Contact Tech Services an ask to Talk to a Tear 2 or Take it to a Verizon Corporate Store an Point out the Issue with the Speaker. Also Contact Motorola an ask to talk to a Technician an let them Know of the Issue an Ask if something is being Done About it..If so Report to this Post.. b33

0 Likes
earnric

My MAXX just started with the speaker issue too. I am missing phone calls because of it!

Please post as soon as there's a real fix for this (i.e. - new generation of MAXX with a fixed design).

R

0 Likes
shibas2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had my Razr Maxx for 6 weeks, and I am also having trouble with the speaker when using it for any type of media. Pressing or rubbing below the speaker can only go so far, especially if you have to do it several times a day to get any sound. I like Android phones & I felt this was the one to get rather than an iphone. I see that this is an ongoing issue with this phone (see also droidforums.net). Since I am past the 14 days and have contactedVerizon & Motorola support, what are my choices? Will Motorola repair this phone for free? This phone has been such a disappointment.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well Motorola might Do something but i would say you would probably get better Results thru Verizon but it will be a C.G.A.N re-placement Since your past the 14 re-turn they might look at it as a Warranty Issue an Warranty it out an give you a New one. You will just half to see! 

Does it Work if you press lightly on the Corner were the Speaker is? .  What i'm starting to think with the Razr's an the speaker is there is only one screw that is Holding Down the Section were the Speaker Assembly is ( Look closely in the Picture ) i'm wondering since there is only one Screw to hold this Section Down that might be Were the issues are Coming From just a Hunch but as with the Glass issue it's making me be more suspicious of it as time goes along..b33

0 Likes
Hilley

I also started experiencing this issue this weekend. At first I thought maybe the 6.12.181 upgrade had something to do with it, but after reading the above posts, it's clearly a hardware problem.

So now what, Verizon? I too dropped a wad of cash for this phone. I don't want a CPO replacement, frankly ANY replacement of the same batch of phones will just keep doing the same thing... so what now?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Hilley wrote:

I also started experiencing this issue this weekend. At first I thought maybe the 6.12.181 upgrade had something to do with it, but after reading the above posts, it's clearly a hardware problem.

So now what, Verizon? I too dropped a wad of cash for this phone. I don't want a CPO replacement, frankly ANY replacement of the same batch of phones will just keep doing the same thing... so what now?

Hilley this is not what you Probably want to here but if this isn't a constant issue with your Maxx i wouldn't worry to much i too have the Snapping it's not constant that does not make it any easier to live with but i have went on. You might try as i did when it's acting up shutting it off an Re-Powering it up after i did this it went away.. A Verizon employee suggested to me a Factory Reset i have not done that but when I.C.S comes out Maxy will get a Refresh. An i hope that will help that a little.. i do at a very minimal times here it in my Droid X but that ol Girl is built like a Tank an after 2 years of service! she still looks an operates like a brand new phone.!! b33

0 Likes
earnric

You realize this is a HARDWARE issue right? Sometimes squeezing temporarily helps restore connectivity to the speaker, but it usually fails again within a day or two... If you don't want to miss calls (no ring) or use your phone as an alarm clock you are SCREWED.

This is a hardware/DESIGN issue that should be rectified by patching the H/W or replacing the phone with an updated design. Asking folks to 'factory wipe' or reboot is not a solution...

Rick

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I Do Rick an if your Maxx is have the Issue by all means re-place it:  An when i Said doing a Factory Reset that was a Suggestion that was Brought to me By a Verizon Employee.. Some on on here are having different issue with this:

1. For Some the Speaker is Cutting out an when Pressing the Back of the Phone it Returns then goes back to the State it Was. They need to get a Re-placement Weather it be New One or a C.G.A.N... 

2. For Me an Some others it's just a little snapping Noise Mine has not Cut out Completely as of yet:  But i am Watching it an if it gives me the Issue i will take of business. you count on that..   b33

0 Likes