Dropping Wifi after 4.1.2 update
ksn1177
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had no issues with my Droid Razr Maxx dropping wifi connections before the update.  I use my work's wifi connection (to which I have no access to the router or anything like that) and I will connect to it and accept the user agreement, and half an hour later I'll look at my phone and the wifi indicator will be grayed out and it's prompting me to accept the wifi user agreement again, meaning it is not connected.  I never had this problem before the update.  I haven't gone out of service range - I've been sitting at my desk.  I've tried forgetting the connection and adding it again - no dice.  I've seen on this forum that if you replace your router or reset it, that might work, but I have a feeling if I went to the IT guy and told him that I need him to reset the entire router for my phone, he would laugh and point. 

Any ideas?

Labels (2)
Re: Dropping Wifi after 4.1.2 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi ksn1177!

I also have the Droid Razr Maxx and I also see that some features have changed, others are no longer available and others simply work differently from the previous software version. Software updates are always intended to improve our phones' performance and it is normal for some changes to take place. I was having the same issue with my WiFi connection after the software update and I resolved it by setting the KEEP WIFI ON DURING SLEEP to ALWAYS: Menu>SystemSettings>WiFi>Menu>Advanced>KeepWiFiOnDuringSleep>Always.
I would also like to share that my son's Razr continued to have WiFi issues even after following the above steps and his was resolved by doing a http://vz.to/z30zKf factory reset. I trust that one of these troubleshooting steps will resolve your WiFi concerns.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
ksn1177
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wifi was already set that way.  I really hate to do a factory reset, but I guess I will try that next.

0 Likes
aztec1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am also an innocent victim of this update. My phone was working  fine and I was happy until I woke up to find I could not connect to my wifi in my home or in several other locations. After 3 hours on the phone with both Verizon and Motorola, I was told my router and others  would not support wifi any longer with the maxx since the update.How disgusting for a company such as verizon and motorola not to inform us or even give us the option not to update. My speed dial and some other items also do not work. I have just spent $60.00 on a new router and $30.00 for tech support. Verizon should pay for this just as quickly as they charge us. I think verizon should send an apology  to its Razor customers affected with some promise for a fix. it is the responsible thing to do. I hope that someone from the company is reading this....

woodylaura
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did getting a new router solve the problem?  I'm wondering because the same thing happened to us.  When I talked to tech support at my ISP he said that didn't make sense and that in his 20 years in IT he had never heard of "Level 5" or "Level 7 or 8" security which are terms Verizon used to explain that this superior phone wasn't compatible with my inferior router.  I feel we should have been informed of this possiblity when we bought the phone last month.

0 Likes
Not applicable

woodylaura wrote:

Did getting a new router solve the problem?  I'm wondering because the same thing happened to us.  When I talked to tech support at my ISP he said that didn't make sense and that in his 20 years in IT he had never heard of "Level 5" or "Level 7 or 8" security which are terms Verizon used to explain that this superior phone wasn't compatible with my inferior router.  I feel we should have been informed of this possiblity when we bought the phone last month.

I noticed your reply to me on the other thread. Many people with different devices are having wifi issues. in another post there is a list of routers or modems not supported after the update. Quite a few others said you can do a cache wipe or a system flush (these directions are all over this forum, sorry I don't have the link) I have also read that others like myself with up to date routers or firmware upgrades have no issues. At the last resort then I would either get a new router or modem from your isp if they supplied them for connectivity or purchase one on your own.

Its a shame I agree but its what companies do today. update some device and then shell out more money to get it to work with everything else.

0 Likes
aztec1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased and installed a new router. Cisco  E1200, N300 from Amazon for $45.00. It is working with my Moto Razor and the update. I can not tell you how pissed I am at the lack of regard for us regarding this . I only had the phone 3 days and would not have gotten it had I of been respectfully informed. To add insult, t both the techs at verizon and Motorola were not able to give me a correct answer  for the wifi failure  to connect. After 4 calls I finally got an  honest answer with the help of the Linksys support representative.

On another note, I am due to travel shortly and hope that my wifi will not suffer not working  in many public areas.due to this update. VERIZON< PLEASE SEND US A FIX FOR THIS ASAP.

0 Likes
Not applicable

aztec1 wrote:

I purchased and installed a new router. Cisco  E1200, N300 from Amazon for $45.00. It is working with my Moto Razor and the update. I can not tell you how ****** I am at the lack of regard for us regarding this . I only had the phone 3 days and would not have gotten it had I of been respectfully informed. To add insult, t both the techs at verizon and Motorola were not able to give me a correct answer  for the wifi failure  to connect. After 4 calls I finally got an  honest answer with the help of the Linksys support representative.

On another note, I am due to travel shortly and hope that my wifi will not suffer not working  in many public areas.due to this update. VERIZON< PLEASE SEND US A FIX FOR THIS ASAP.

Believe me I can share your pain. As I told another poster when Microsoft or Apple put out a new OS the forums are loaded with issues of my camera or my usb ord my bluetooth or assorted programs no longer work.

And as what happened with me on Windows 8 I spent close to $2,000 dollars on replacement software and hardware when the OS cost mr $50 for both copies of Windows 8

So trust me a router is an easy purchase. But it should not have to be that way.

0 Likes
RPrado
Enthusiast - Level 1

Talked with tech suppot, and yes WiFi and battery are issues.  He said its up to Motorola to fix this, since they are the ones who perform the update on Android once they receive the shell version of any Android OS and tweak to their own settings.

My WiFi on the other hand was solved with 1 click of the mouse.  NetGear plugin extender.  Placed in the hallway and viola!  Full WiFi bars.

0 Likes
Not applicable

RPrado wrote:

Talked with tech suppot, and yes WiFi and battery are issues.  He said its up to Motorola to fix this, since they are the ones who perform the update on Android once they receive the shell version of any Android OS and tweak to their own settings.

My WiFi on the other hand was solved with 1 click of the mouse.  NetGear plugin extender.  Placed in the hallway and viola!  Full WiFi bars.

Take this in the humor I intend. "you have been cow pattied" Motorola does make the phones and supplies the phones operating systems, but they release it to "Verizon Wireless" to test before its sent out Over The Air to Verizons customers.

In this testing which took forever to release to their customers longer than any other cell provider, you really believe Verizon did not encounter the wifi or battery drain or loss of 4G issues that are affecting a small percentage of owners of this device and numerous other android devices.

Did you read any complaints from T-Mobile, Sprint or AT&T owners of android devices? I have not read complaints from them but mostly Verizons OTA update to Jelly Bean. My lord just wait for the "Key Lime Pie"

0 Likes