Droid Turbo defective battery?
dtmenace

I purchased my 64GB Droid Turbo on the 30th and have tried everything I can think of but I can't seem to get more than ~8 hours of battery life.  I have already been in contact with motorola and performed their recommended "clear partition", done a factory reset, turned off data and location when not in use, only sync over wi-fi, etc.. Ideas? or bad battery?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Turbo defective battery?
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Like Tidbits pointed out a Li-ion battery needs to have a rebuild charge sometimes.  Do a full 6-8 hour charge with device in sleep mode, next run it down to about 45-50 % and then a 4-5 hour charge. After that use your Droid and take it down to 30%. Another 6-8 hour charge and then down to no lower then 20-25% and one more full 8 hour charge. At that point your battery should be rebuilt back to a normal life cycle. This should eliminate your battery as a possible problem.

View solution in original post

Tidbits
Legend

Hows the reception in your area?  Do you have a lot of apps installed?  Are some of these apps haven't been updated in 2-3 years?  There's a lot of factors.  How long have you have the device?  My friend had your battery life, but got better as time when on.  Also there some apps he removed due them them causing wake locks and those apps were not updated for over 1-2 years.

0 Likes
dtmenace

Reception in my area is mostly great (right outside NYC in NJ).  I have 88 apps total, many disabled and the rest are up to date.  My average day is checking email a dozen times or so, Facebook (read mostly) 5-6 times a day with the occasional check-in or photo upload, which is also generally over wi-fi.

0 Likes
dtmenace

I should also note that most of the day I am using wi-fi rather than data.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

My friend was on the same boat. He discharged the battery to nearly empty and charged it over night for a few days and it gradually got better for him. Now it lasts him 14-18 hours. His mileage might not be the same as yours. He does very little gaming, but does a lot of ingress

0 Likes
dtmenace

That's really what has me perplexed. I am not doing anything with the phone that I would consider "hard" on the battery.  I don't game, seldom stream music or video (I carry my iPad with me for most of that stuff & email as well).  I have probably only taken 20 photos over the time that I've owned the device and I only used the video camera once.

The more I explain to you, the more I think I just got a defective unit.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Might be a good idea to do an exchange.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Like Tidbits pointed out a Li-ion battery needs to have a rebuild charge sometimes.  Do a full 6-8 hour charge with device in sleep mode, next run it down to about 45-50 % and then a 4-5 hour charge. After that use your Droid and take it down to 30%. Another 6-8 hour charge and then down to no lower then 20-25% and one more full 8 hour charge. At that point your battery should be rebuilt back to a normal life cycle. This should eliminate your battery as a possible problem.

dtmenace

GalaxyClass I've had the phone since the 30th of last month and I've tried everything with regard to charging protocol - even slow/trickle charging with a weaker charger.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Then I would do the exchange also.

0 Likes