Droid Turbo and Verizon Wireless are Junk!
critkward

I have been a Verizon customer for more than a decade.  There are four individual on my plan, my wife, two children and myself.  In June 2015, just before Fathers' Day, I purchased three NEW Droid Turbos.  The retail price for these cell phones is $480.00 per.  On Tuesday, August 18, 2015, one of the devices just shut down and would not power up.  On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 I attempted to return the phone to the store where it was purchased. After patiently waiting for over an hour, I was finally provided assistance.  The sales person took my device and worked with it for about half an hour, to no avail.  I was told that Verizon would provide a placement.  I thought that meant that a new one would be provided there on the spot.  No, I was told that I would receive a replacement device within 24 hours, by 8:00 PM on Thursday, August 20, 2015.  I specifically asked the sales person if it would be a new device or a refurbished one.  I was told that it would be a NEW one, that Verizon doesn't do such things.   I questioned why I could not just get one from their inventory and was told that they sere sold out.  The replacement device did not arrive the next day as promised but arrived on Friday, August 21, 2015 and it was a certified pre-owned, a USED device.

I called the 800 number that was included with the refurbished device, 1.888.881.2622.  I explained that I felt cheated, ripped off, because my NEW device, just about two months old, was being replaced with a USED one.  Does it make sense that I pay for a NEW device, and yet have to settle for a USED one that is half the cost.  I explained this to a Verizon Representative, whose name was [removed].  While she understood my plight, she said that it was Verizon's policy.  She even made a call to Motorola on my behalf but to no avail. She escalated my call to her manager, [removed], who told me that it was company policy not to provide new devices after 14 days, although my device was still under warranty and I had purchased replacement insurance.  He stated that nothing could be done.  Further, he refused to escalate my call.

If that is Verizon's policy, then that is unacceptable.  Why should a customer have to pay the cost of a NEW device when refurbished ones are selling for half the price.  Even more disturbing is the fact that this phone, this device, should die in 60 days.  It is real crap and Verizon's policies and customer service are just as crappy. The battery life is extremely short and the device is not user friendly.  To anyone considering a cell phone purchase, DO NOT buy a Droid Turbo and certainly find another provided other than Verizon.  You will be glad that you did.

Personal information removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Turbo and Verizon Wireless are Junk!
Snn5
Legend

Less than 1 year since purchase

The device will be replaced at no cost. If it's been more than 15 days since purchase, it'll be replaced with a Certified Like-New Replacement (a like unit or one of comparable quality).

Device Replacement Program | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
critkward

This should have been CLEARLY disclosed when I purchase three of these inferior quality devices and certainly when I returned to the store.  I find it hard to believe that the Verizon stores have one understanding of company policy and Customer support has another.  Some consistency sure would help here.  Also, the poor service does not compensate for the fact that the device, the phone itself is crap.  It stopped working after only 60 days!  Where is the quality?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It might come down to opinion there.  Moto makes a great device and the Turbo was a huge success sales-wise for Verizon.  Not saying that there are not one-offs, but every manufacturer has that.

ClayKirby
Enthusiast - Level 3

I may not agree with Verizon and their phone replacement policy however I own a Droid Turbo and have been with Verizon for many years.  Neither are what i call perfect but there's no way i could describe either as "Junk"  I think you might be ever further disappointed if you change carriers and have a similar experience.    Verizon customer service agents are generally helpful within the limits of there policies and abilities, Motorola is a quality built phone and the Verizon network is fairly solid.  Like I said i may not agree with the phone replacement policy but with any electronics there are occasional failures and They will usually help you effectively when this happens.

Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

I don't agree with the policy of giving us the certified like new replacements either when it is within the one year warranty policy, but that is what it has been as the policy for as long as I can remember and is the same for every phone, not just the Turbo.  Also, if you think battery life on the Turbo is bad try getting another phone, such as the Galaxy S6.  As others have stated, I am very happy with the Turbo as the quality is better than most with a bigger battery than everyone else for the size of the device. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have read of other users going back to the Turbo after using the S6 because the battery wasn't good enough on the S6.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Smoke-n-Squeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

To you all that are complaining about getting certified replacement devices instead of a NEW device. Being in the hardware business for a number of years I can tell you the chances of getting a dysfunctional new device is higher than a dysfunctional certified used one. Most manufactures require certified replacement device to go through more tests than a new one.

While I agree that the consistency between what is conveyed and what is done is less than perfect with Verizon I don't see it any better or any worse than most consumer facing companies. Unfortunately we live in a time of volumes over quality.

bdstx4
Contributor - Level 1

Very true what he is saying about certified used devices, They can be trusted better than new. Usually you cannot see

the difference even with a magnifying glass. 30 years hardware experience.

0 Likes
bdstx4
Contributor - Level 1

I wish VZW would let Droid users buy a extended warranty direct from Motorola. Much better warranty. In any case the 1st year is directly covered by Motorola. So call them first with problems.

0 Likes