Droid Turbo Marshmallow - please answer
neburg964

When I bought my Turbo, the Moto X 2014 was also on the shelves at the VZW store and it was running Marshmallow.  I was coming out of a first-gen Moto X and really liked the phone, just wanted a bigger screen with more battery power.  My sales rep at the time ASSURED me that the Turbo would in fact be receiving the Marshmallow update "very soon" and this assurance is what led to me deciding on the Turbo rather than the X.  

Motorola says on its website that the update is available "pending partner support".  The Turbo ("Quark XT-1254") is a Verizon exclusive so there is no other partner, at least in the US.  I know that the Turbo received Marshmallow WiFi certification on July 1, 2016 (the WiFi certfication ID is WFA66489) AND that the Indian market version of the Turbo received Android 6.01 on July 21...

So what gives, Verizon?  I was thinking about getting a Z Force but Lenovo is not exactly a paragon of virtue for updating its products and as this phone is a Verizon exclusive, I have lost faith that Verizon will update it in a timely manner.  Next up was the Pixel but now I see Verizon is going to be in charge of software updates on this phone as well.  This is causing me to SERIOUSLY rethink staying with Verizon. These "flagship" phones aren't cheap and if I'm going to give Verizon $600-700-800 dollars, I want GUARANTEES, not "assurances", that updates will be implemented even in a semi-timely manner.

I can always buy a Pixel direct from Google and activate it with AT&T.  Don't want to go there but at this point it has to be a viable option.

So please, Verizon, don't pay us lip service anymore.  Give us a straight answer as to what your plans are with this phone.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Turbo Marshmallow - please answer
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

neburg964 - We strive to provide you all of the answers you seek. I am also a Droid Turbo user and can't wait to have the Marshmallow software on my device. At this time we don't have any information regarding the Marshmallow software you want for your Droid Turbo. You can   check the link we provided for the latest software news.

JacobV_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

neburg964 wrote:

I can always buy a Pixel direct from Google and activate it with AT&T. Don't want to go there but at this point it has to be a viable option.

You can also buy a Pixel direct from Google and activate it with Verizon. That way, Verizon would not be the one pushing updates to your phone.

0 Likes
neburg964

That's the way to go then, but I read somewhere that the Google direct versions are for AT&T and T-Mobile (along with Google Fi)

I will definitely look into this.  Thanks!

0 Likes
neburg964

I just read that if you buy from Google and not VZW, you lose Hi-Def Voice and Voice over WiFi.  I want both those features.

Verizon, please do the right thing here.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Do you have a link where you read that? I would be surprised that you would lose HD voice, but was wondering about wifi calling. For example, the Nexus 5X purchased direct from Google had HD voice but does not have wifi calling on Verizon.

I have not been able to find an official source which would provide this information. Since it appears the only difference between the phones is that the Verizon version comes with a pre-installed Verizon SIM card, I would be hesitant to believe any info not from an official source. The link to where you read this would be appreciated, though.

0 Likes
neburg964
0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

That is not an official source, simply some speculation on Android Central's part. Nothing which has actually been released by Verizon OR Google says anything about this subject.

Previous Nexus phones are compatible with HD voice on Verizon. Wifi calling is not. The reason Verizon states this is because they are not phones it supports. Being that Verizon DOES support the Pixel(XL) means that it is not a clear about wifi calling. Verizon supports the phone. Doesn't mean that it doesn't support the phone when not purchase from Google.

Unlocked iPhones purchased from Apple have wifi calling supported by Verizon. The same could be true for the Pixel. I am still looking for official confirmation one way or the other.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
neburg964

I hear you, and I agree that this information is critical, not just as to if/when/where I buy the Pixel but whether or not I even stay with Verizon.  I want a definitive answer, yes-or-no, as to whether the Turbo will get Marshmallow and if so, when VZW is planning to release it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

neburg964, I like getting my updates quickly as well. I can guarantee you that when we do release our software updates, they have been thoroughly tested to make sure you get the best customer experience possible. You can keep up to date here: http://vz.to/1PABezY.

JosephT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
neburg964

While I thank you for responding,  your answer is actually a non-answer.  It's a simple question : Is Verizon going to update the Turbo to Marshmallow as we were promised?   If yes,  then we'd all appreciate a general time frame.   If no,  VZW needs to man up and tell us so.   Each of us will decide what our best courses of action are.

0 Likes