Re: Droid Turbo Marshmallow Update?
Alanhagg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still no date... Patience is a virtue... I still need practice 😉

0 Likes
Guck
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also still no reply from a verizon employee. Not even a "we're sorry about the wait you are having. Unfortunatly we aren't sure how long blah blah blah and will let you know as soon as we can"

SandTrout

Am I missing something here?  My understanding was that the DROID Turbo was made to work with Lollipop (a.k.a. Android 5).  DROID Turbo 2 runs Marshmallow (a.k.a. Android 6). 

Does this mean I *should* try to apply the 3/1/2016 Marshmallow update to my DROID Turbo Lollipop phone?

Please Advise.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SandTrout, getting a software update can feel like you're getting a new phone. Manufacture software updates are not all released to all devices at the same time to avoid congestion. When your phone is ready for the software update, you will receive a message on your device.
TrinetteW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Alanhagg
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, not yet. Verizon is massaging the update, and will let us know whenever

they are done. By then, os N will be out...

waldolc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, Google finished the update months ago, as did Motorola. The issue in the delay lies with Verizon to finish their tweaks/or just release it as is, then push the new OS to devices.  All other vendors that worked on the device build (Bluetooth, NFC,WiFi; etc.) have done their work and approved updates, which is how the device manufacturer (Motorola) was able to sign off on the update 6 months ago.

Still, the issue of the delay lies with the carriers (in our case, Verizon).

Verizon has notoriously been late with any and all updates on device software.

It is truly frustrating knowing that the device you use is more than capable of using the security updates and OS upgrades, but won't get them until the life cycle of the device has passed, simply because of carrier delay.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

waldolc wrote:

Actually, Google finished the update months ago, as did Motorola. The issue in the delay lies with Verizon to finish their tweaks/or just release it as is, then push the new OS to devices.  All other vendors that worked on the device build (Bluetooth, NFC,WiFi; etc.) have done their work and approved updates, which is how the device manufacturer (Motorola) was able to sign off on the update 6 months ago.

Still, the issue of the delay lies with the carriers (in our case, Verizon).

Verizon has notoriously been late with any and all updates on device software.

It is truly frustrating knowing that the device you use is more than capable of using the security updates and OS upgrades, but won't get them until the life cycle of the device has passed, simply because of carrier delay.

That old wives tale again.  Motorola, HTC, Sony, and even Google admitted multiple times in the past 2 almost 3 years that carriers don't touch the code at all.  Manufacturers do all the the coding and carriers PAY manufacturers for it.  It's part of the contracted agreement and why manufacturers like these deals as it lowers the bottom line and ALLOWS them to profit from their devices quicker.  If you want carriers not involved force OEMs to stop making these deals and sell their devices as is which Motorola already did with the 2015 Moto X, Google has done with the Nexus 5X, and what Apple has been doing since 2007.

0 Likes
FrostedWaffle
Enthusiast - Level 1

While it is true that the carrier does not do much work on the updates, the carriers have a major impact on carrier exclusives like the turbo. Motorola has already released soak tests to phones that are identical to the Droid Turbo in everything other than verizon exclusivity. Motorola has done their part. Now it's Verizon's turn to verify and release the software.

Tidbits
Legend

Read the whole thing I said. No matter what manufacturers still have to code. The soak test is done on Motorola end and also is done BEFORE they submit it to carriers. For testing. Motorola used to have this flow chart in the MDN forums which you can go into only if you are part of the soak tests. I haven't been part of the recent soak tests so I don't know if it's still there.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Also identical phones... problem they may be identical BUT the software requirements are different. Like I said Motorola has an agreement and it helps with their bottom line. They made this deal and they have a job to do. Now if they are doing soak tests for identical phones, but haven't pushed it out officially means they are not done. If the Verizon versions requires additional work what makes you think theyou are done with that version if they are not even done with something that requires less? Just some food for thought.

0 Likes