Droid Turbo Does Not Receive Phone Calls
GregStough
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having this problem intermittently for several months not and are now realizing that this is more than just a 1 time occurrence. Someone calls my phone but my phone never rings, so they leave a voice message. But, I don't get the voice message either. My phone volume and everything else is fine, but the phone does not ring. From work I called myself and watched my phone...nothing at all. After numerous rings I was directed to voice mail. The only way to correct this problem is to turn the phone off, and then turn it back on. After I do that the phone rings and I'm then notified that I have voice mails too. (from everyone that tried calling while my Turbo wasn't working correctly. That works for a while, but then several days to perhaps a couple of weeks go by and I have the exact same problem. This is a serious issue because I have no clue that my phone isn't receiving until someone contacts me some other way to let me know that they've been trying to call me. This is apparently a problem for many people and the internet is full of dissatisfied and confused customers. Is there anything that can be done to correct this issue, or have the Droid Turbos simply turned into junk? Ideas anyone? Not being able to receive emergency phone calls is a serious problem.....

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Turbo Does Not Receive Phone Calls
clayrandall
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too have had this problem. What I have learned is the DROID Turbos radio configuration doesn't support voice and data simultaneously without Advanced Calling. The problem is (if I remember correctly) the LTE and CDMA radio both use the same antenna, but only one can use it at a time. Normal voice calls use the CDMA radio and Data uses the LTE radio. When you activate advanced calling, what it does is allow you to make a voice call over the LTE data frequencies, thus allowing you to still use data because the LTE radio is activated.

The problem with not receiving calls seems to have something to do with a conflict between the LTE and CDMA radios.  This is why turning off advanced calling seems to work. With Advanced Calling off, the phone is only using CDMA.

Equally if you go to Cellular network settings and switch ***for Troubleshooting only*** the preferred network type to LTE/GSM/UTMS, it will work as long as you have LTE. Because Verizon uses LTE and CDMA and they don’t use GSM or UTMS, changing this setting will make it so the phone will only use LTE. Now that the apparent conflict between LTE and CDMA is removed the phone works great if you have a good LTE signal.  If you however don’t have a LTE signal it will not work at all, that is why you should never leave your phone on this setting.

It is when you have Advanced Calling on and the phone in Global or LTE/CDMA that it seems to have a problem.  The Version 23.21.49 system update is listed as providing “Call performance improvements”. I installed it last night, put my phone back on LTE/CDMA and turned Advanced Calling on.  So far it seems to be working correctly and in am not missing any calls.  Keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath…

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GregStough,

This is absolutely alarming. The main purpose of the phone is receive phone calls. I can imagine the frustration. We are here and going to get this resolved. You have done some great troubleshooting steps already. Let's keep going. Do you notice you have the issues with not receiving phone calls while inside a building? Does it seem it is the same contact you are having issues with? What software version are you currently running? Please go to Settings/About Phone/Android Version.

RobinD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Look no further help has arrived GregStough. Having reliable service is definitely important and we want to help make sure you receive all your calls.

Are you having this issue with all the calls that come in? Are you able to make calls okay? When this happens do you get the missed call notification on the phone?

Lets make sure that your Call Forwarding is disable. Dial *73 send from your phone. Wait for a confirmation beep or message. End the call and retest. Keep us posted.

JohnB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
GregStough
Enthusiast - Level 2

Robin,

This is an intermittent problem. I have experienced this problem while in my office at work, at home, and while out driving. I have never experienced any problems in any of these locations until recently. These problems are occurring at locations that I always have service and have always been able to receive phone calls. One of the last times my phone didn't work I was at work. I tried to call myself and after a number of rings I was sent to voice mail. My phone never showed that I had called. I have had people leave numerous voice mail messages but after my phone does start working again I show no voice mail messages from these people. So these voice mail messages are now displaying on my phone, and I have no way to retrieve the messages they have left for me. I have also ask several people to text me if I don't answer my phone to let me know that they are trying to reach me. Apparently I am not able to receive texts when this problem occurs. They sent text messages to me after they could not reach me by phone, but I never received any of those text messages.

What I thought would correct the problem was restarting my phone. I've done when I experienced this problem over the last few weeks and that seemed to fix it for a while. However earlier this week I was expecting an important phone call so I restarted my phone early in the morning. Less than one hour later this person tried to call me but my phone never rang, and never showed me that a voice mail was left. Other times my phone works fine for days, sometimes several weeks, with no issue at all. This problem originally occurred only once every couple of weeks, but for the last week or so I a loosing people calling me every couple of days. It's very frustrating. I'm now having to call myself with another phone throughout the day to see if my phone is actually working. I'm very disappointed and dissatisfied, for there have been lots of other people with the same problem with their Droid phones going back 1 to 2 years...

My phone is Android Version 5.1

0 Likes
GregStough
Enthusiast - Level 2

JohnB,

I am not having problems with all calls. I am only having with some calls, some of the time. But there is no pattern. I don't know for sure that I've experienced any problems calling out. It seems that I had tried to call someone back after they texted me to let me know they are trying to reach me, and that my phone rang, but they did not receive the call. I'm not certain about that though, I may be mistaken. I'll try to test that the next time my phone is not working again. No, I do not receive any notification that anyone has called....No missed call notification, no ring, no voice mail when they leave a message and no text message when they text me to tell my they are trying to reach me. From the callers end it seems like their messages are all going to me...from my end I have no clue that they've tried to contact me at all.

There does seem to be some differences in what happens when the problem occurs. Early on, when this problem first started I do remember getting a text message from someone that tried to call me. That's how I learned there was an issue. But just this week texts have been sent to me when they can't reach me, but I never receive the texts. So most recently nothing is working, neither phone, voice mail, or text. So I'm totally unreachable until i realize there is a problem and then turn off and then back on again. And hopefully I have a second phone around that I can call myself to see if my phone is actually working correctly, for at least a while.

Call forwarding? I never use it. Never have. Several weeks ago I went through the turning off call forwarding steps, but it didn't make a difference. If my calls are being forwarded why would callers always (I presume) reach my voice mail. And if they reach my voice mail and leave a message why will I never see that a voicemail message has been left, and never be able to retrieve any voicemail that was left when my phone was not working? This is not a call forwarding issue, the symptoms would be quite different.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GregStough, I appreciate the detailed information and this is very helpful. Our goal is for you to have a working phone and we are not giving up until we get this resolved. Is anyone else in these locations experiencing the same issue?Any recent changes to the device recently (software, apps, etc)?

GersonG_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
GregStough
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not aware of anyone else having problem in the same areas at home on the road or at work. If it were a signal problem, due to my location, I may miss the call but I would be able to retrieve voice mails, and I would have an indication that I missed a call when I once again had a good signal. These problem are occurring in multiple locations where I have never had any problems receiving calls before, and have had good service for many years.

I have not installed any any new apps on my phone for quite a few weeks. The only changes to the software are automatic updates that occur as needed.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi GregStough, I appreciate you sharing this information and let's continue to work on this issue until it gets resolved. You mentioned something about your location. What is your zip code? As you travel, do you get the same service issues in a different areas? Please provide the other zip codes where you are having the issue so we can check on the coverage. 
EdwinW_VZW

0 Likes
GregStough
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in the 17408 zip code and work in the 17110 zip code. I do not

believe this is a service issue. I've been out of the service area in the

past and have always received proper notifications and voice mail messages

as soon as I returned to an area with good service. My current problem is

entirely different. When the problem is occurring, I never receive any

notification that some called, even though they did so and left a voice

mail message. And the voice mail they left for me never shows up. The voice

mail simply disappears and I have no idea a message was left for me, until

I am later able to talk to the caller and they advise that they called and

left a message.

On Apr 21, 2016 11:58 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Getting phones calls and emails are important, GregStough. I have the Droid Turbo as well and want you to love it, as much as I love my device. That happened to me too when I got my phone. I forgot to set up my voicemail and I was not receiving messages. Then I turned it on and viola. Lets see if this will work for you as well. Here is how to set up your voicemail. http://vz.to/2489MQT

AllisonC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes