Re: Droid Turbo 2 Shutting Off Randomly with Battery Life Left
Toxonuts

Hello Renee,

It really sucks that you got hit with all your phone issues right around the holiday season. Icing on the stress cake, I guess. Just wanted to jump back in and let everyone know that I went ahead and replaced my battery on my Droid Turbo 2. The replacement battery cost me around $25 with shipping, and took about 30 minutes to replace. I've had the battery in for about 3 weeks, and (fingers-crossed) everything seems to be functioning properly.

I'm not entirely certain that the ONLY issue was the battery, though. Seeing as everything was fine, then suddenly after a software update, many many people report this issue, I'd lean towards the software update possibly viewing battery "health" differently and causing these random shutdowns, as the phone OS is trying to protect the other hardware as it thinks the battery is "faulty". I could totally just be insane with that thought, though. But, a battery replacement is an option if you have the time (you'll also need a T4 screwdriver, and a spudger tool -- many videos on YouTube).

0 Likes
DustinK
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have literally gone through 2 replacement droid turbo 2 phones in the span of a week and the phone I just turned on today started exhibiting the random shut off problems already. This is much more than a simple issue.

deilenberger
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same problem - along with greatly reduced battery life. I ended up talking to a Verizon Wireless tech (in Phoenix AZ) - who logged into my phone, poked around, checked the battery (state of charge and the number of times it has been charged - apparently they have a finite number before they die) - and told me the phone actually looked healthy.

His suggestion was to do a factory reset. I had thought about this - but was reluctant to do it since I thought I'd have to first upgrade through all the versions of the Android OS, then reinstall all my apps one by one, and restore all my data.

Turns out - it was painless. I did connect my phone to my Windows-10 PC and copied all the data files (mostly photos) that I wanted to be sure I had saved. I then followed the steps to reset it to factory configuration.

The process was excellent.. First it performed a backup to the cloud. It then rebooted my phone and installed not the original version of Android OS - but the current version. It then reinstalled all my apps (with the exception of one*..) and restored my screen layouts.

Easy-peasy.

Since then - the phone is running an entire day on a battery charge, and hasn't rebooted/shut down by itself once, despite me running it purposely down into the single digit battery charge - like 9%.

Just my experience. In this case at least the reset the phone DID work and cured the issue. I'm no longer considering an exchange with Motorola for $150..

* = the one app I found missing was the version of Solitaire that I think came on the phone when it was new and about 3 OS's ago. I've searched for it on the APP store - but can't find it. Anyone know the one I'm talking about - it was a nice easy to use version, with options for different scoring, timing, 3 card or 1 card draw.

0 Likes
Mr_Tom

I have figured it out.  It is definitely the connector from the battery to phone.  I used contact cleaner on the connector and resolved my random shut downs.

0 Likes
Mr_Tom

To clarify...I opened as you would to change the internal battery....then cleaned contacts for the internal battery connector.  Works great now.

0 Likes
MGVET47

I have had the same problem with my phone and have done all the same things to remedy the situation.  It seems that the marshmallow system update is the culprit from reading other forums.  Verizon's helpful tips and advice on how to fix this is culpable as I notice several posts say they have done what Verizon reps have advised already and the response is to do the same exact thing the person has said they have already done. I think Verizon and Motorola could care less unless an impending lawsuit forces them to as the only thing I got from calling Verizon and Motorola was to ugrade my phone instead of replacement or sending the phone in for a fix. 

I think I will be on the Apple bandwagon soon as I may dislike their phones or company but at least they care about their products enough not to destroy many of their customers phones operation with a system update.  It should not surprise me as these companies are frequently sued for shady practices and we keep buying them. 

0 Likes
cryoseller

My Droid Turbo 2 is doing the same thing with version 8.0.0. The phone is almost useless now, because it is shutting down so much. It seems to have to do with the way the phone dtects the battery charge state. I've seen bad memory chips do weird stuff like this in PCs when I used to repair them. Maybe a hairline crack in a circuit board?? I know I had my phone in my back pocket a few times recently and forgot and sat on it. That is something I have never done before, and I am pretty sure this problem started sometime after I did that.  I wonder if I bent it enough to crack a circuit?? Has anyone else having this probloem  put their phone in their back pocket and sat on it?

0 Likes
snonutz

I've had almost identical problems for about a year now, except it will shut down when almost fully charged.  Sometimes when I go to power up, the white M - Android screen appears and will stay illuminated as such until the battery dies.  Doesn't boot up, and I can't reset/turn it off.  Quite the inconvenience when business calls are hanging in the balance. 

Anyone had any help from Motorola on this issue?

0 Likes
jcbzhnsr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Been through a replacement for this exact issue twice already, and now my mic went out, requested a third replacement but am being hit with the over the CLNR limit clause. Junk phones, junk service, time to switch carriers for four lines.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cryoseller, Having your phone shut off randomly with sufficient battery life can definitely be quite the inconvenience. You mentioned you sat on the device, do you see any physical damage on the outside? Are you using the charger that came with the device or have you tried any other charger?

JoshuaC_VZW

0 Likes