Droid Razr Maxx HD Bluetooth, Wifi confliction?
MathewGagnon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Several months ago I replaced my razr maxx with a razr maxx hd due to issues I had maintaining signal from the jelly bean 4.1.2 update on the maxx, whereas I am stuck from the get-go on 4.1.2 jelly bean on maxx hd. Overall the phone maintains signal decently, though randomly loses 4g, but that's not the problem. With my original maxx I was able to use bluetooth (on a phone call) and wifi simultaneously, this was using a bluetooth 2.1 headset, had tested with a 3.0 bluetooth headset and worked the same. In other words, I could send emails with attachments (or surf web etc) over the wifi at normal speeds and be talking on the phone at the same time.

With the replacement maxx hd, I'm unable to do this at normal speeds. Before anyone suggests factory reset, clear cache, safe mode, tried all that, still replicate problem. For instance, I can be on the phone with wifi on, and attempt to surf web over wifi or send email with attachments and it'll either fail each time or send excruciatingly slow. The second I turn off bluetooth and am talking through phone itself, it sends normally at the normal speeds. I'm using a d-link dir-655 router, and have tried changing channels, shutting off auto scan, 20/40mhz, qos off, wpa/wpa2 and bother as aes/tkip cipher and so on. I know the router operates on 2.4ghz range, the same range as bluetooth, but I'm curious as to why my razr maxx had no issues before using bluetooth/wifi simultaneously whereas my maxx hd seems to be "conflicting" the signal between the use of bluetooth and wifi at the same time. I can't seem to find any information as to why this is occurring other than it's a known issue since the update to jelly bean 4.1.2 and no fix in sight as of now...months & months of this issue is starting to get old. I can replicate the same issue on another router at another location.

Is there any specific setting or something in the phone that would confuse the wifi/bluetooth so they aren't operating at different bands therefore both using specific same channel within the 2.4ghz spectrum? The droid razr maxx did not have this issue with same bluetooth, same router as the droid razr maxx hd has. It's becoming quite frustrating because I have to swap off bluetooth, put phone on speaker then send what I need to over wifi. This is an operating system specific bug that has not been fixed. I'm off contract and am considering switching because it's been nothing but headaches for months dealing with tech support on verizon that can't seem to solve this issue. I like the phone, but I can't see how a bug of this nature has no work around, no fix, and no official word as to what is happening.

Any input, suggestions, information, or pointing me in such a way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Razr Maxx HD Bluetooth, Wifi confliction?
MathewGagnon
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is not a definitive solution, but a work around I figured out this evening regarding the conflict with bluetooth and the router. Mode N uses more bandwidth than G, simple work around is to setup a "guest zone" within the router, set it to "wep" protection (where it can and will only use B & G and not N) and vuala, bluetooth and wifi can be used simultaneously. Connect the phone in guest zone rather than standard SSID and you'll connect using G (rather than default with phone using N) and still allow your normal network to operate in N. Just be sure NOT to enable routing between zones and this will work fine. It's been working for several hours now for me, getting about 10mbps on my phone over wifi and using bluetooth on phone call without confliction. The app "wifi analyzer" confirms the signals are not overlapping or interferring using this now.

Optimally, it'd be nice if I could select mode G on phone rather than N versus having to do all this work, but it works though.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MathewGagnon
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is not a definitive solution, but a work around I figured out this evening regarding the conflict with bluetooth and the router. Mode N uses more bandwidth than G, simple work around is to setup a "guest zone" within the router, set it to "wep" protection (where it can and will only use B & G and not N) and vuala, bluetooth and wifi can be used simultaneously. Connect the phone in guest zone rather than standard SSID and you'll connect using G (rather than default with phone using N) and still allow your normal network to operate in N. Just be sure NOT to enable routing between zones and this will work fine. It's been working for several hours now for me, getting about 10mbps on my phone over wifi and using bluetooth on phone call without confliction. The app "wifi analyzer" confirms the signals are not overlapping or interferring using this now.

Optimally, it'd be nice if I could select mode G on phone rather than N versus having to do all this work, but it works though.

0 Likes
Monkeytown

I'm having constant wifi connectivity problems since the update too with my MaxxHD.  I saw this post, and I tried shifting my Dlink 605L settings to use wireless G/B, not N/G/B, and that fixed my wifi problem.  However, it has nothing to do with bluetooth for me, because I have bluetooth turned off completely. 

I don't want to run at wireless G, I want N for the extended range.  So I will be at the mercy of Verizon/Motorola until there's a patch. 

0 Likes
MathewGagnon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you tried updating the firmware on your router? If you go under settings, there's an update button to check to see if there's anything newer. I don't think it'll help that much honestly, but yeah the 4.1.2 jelly bean bugged out my razr maxx and then when I got replacement to razr maxx hd, same issue.

0 Likes
Monkeytown

Yeah, tried that.  Helpful @VZWWireless told me that wifi is super important!  Then they recommended me try to forget/relearn the network.  When I said that I did, and yes I tried hard reset, and don't bother telling me to factory reset or clear cache, they haven't yet responded.

0 Likes
MathewGagnon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forgetting/relearning the network is unlikely to help...all these wifi/bluetooth conflictions are known issues, especially after jelly bean 4.1.1/4.1.2 came out. They haven't addressed it/fixed it, and with the new line of phones out, I doubt they will as there's nothing in it at this point.

Hard resetting is only a temporary fix, same with clearing cache...it may "appear" to be fixed, but then it still has issues few days later I'm betting.

I know it isn't good to run on b/g speeds when you're on an n network and can pull much faster, but as far as I can tell (and I've done a done of googling and searching and reading about this), there is no permanent fix and there is no path for a software update. If you look on the motorola site, last I saw the maxx hd/razr hd were both "undecided" basically for getting another software update; so it's very unlikely.(rooting discussion removed) but that completely voids your warranty and I don't know if that'd fix (unless it was a newer os with the proper bands for everything).

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Monkeytown

I won't spend time (rooting reference removed) (wasted enough time with my

Viewsonic G-Tablet).  VZW/Motorola broke my expected functionality,

apparrently (see harwood's post on the RAZR MAXX forum.)  Apparently

Motorola is "working on it", but the silent treatment at VZW (removed).

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the further explanation today MathewGagnon! Have you had the opportunity to take your device into a local store for evaluation of issues? Your local store can be located by visiting http://bit.ly/3SdsA, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes