Droid Razr M Rebooting while Playing Music or other Apps
sidewinderx

Hi All,

I've got a Droid Razr M (had it for about a year), and it reboots regularly while I try and play music or run some apps. It most consistently reboots while listening to music on Google Play Music. It doesn't matter if I'm only listening to "on-device" or all my music; it will usually play a few songs, then reboot. I downloaded WinAmp as an alternative, and the same thing still happens.

It will also reboot while I'll play a couple of other apps; it's done it before with Pandora and it has done it with the Star Trader RPG.

I thought it might be something to do with memory usage so I've tried a couple of memory management apps, but that hasn't helped. This is quite an annoying issue and has basically made my phone worthless for playing music.

Any suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Razr M Rebooting while Playing Music or other Apps
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying those troubleshooting steps sidewinderx!  I actually have the same model device, and haven't experienced problems with playing music on my device.

Please tell me the device current software version http://vz.to/177T5KX.  The current System version should be: 98.18.94.XT907.Verizon.en.US or 98.30.1.XT907.Verizon.en.US.  If it's not, please try updating the device software http://vz.to/1jI58zI.  If you're still experiencing the same after confirming the software is up to date, I do recommend hard resetting the device http://vz.to/1boPQkX.  Please let me know how this works out for you.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

What good is a phone if you can't listen to your music on it, sidewinderx? I know that's the most important and used feature on my phone. Let's figure what's going on with your Razr M. Has this happened for the entire year you've had this phone? You mentioned you have a memory management app downloaded. Do you have task killers or battery saver apps downloaded as well? Its best to delete all of those apps. I'm going to have you clear the device memory, (cache, cookies, history), then restart. Once this is completed, place phone in Safe Mode for a couple hours, try to listen to music while in Safe Mode, and use phone as normal. If problem stops, its an app that's causing this problem, and we'll have to figure out which one and have it removed.

Clear Memory: http://bit.ly/Qe8UTP

Safe Mode: http://vz.to/11LLBae 

Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
Cruzer2

I have the Razr HD and it does the same thing. I went through the Verizon help chat they tried everything they are suggesting in their reply. I finally did a reformat on the phone and it worked for about a week. I did not put a single app on my phone!!! As soon as a bunch of Google updates came through it started doing it again. They will not admit that it is a software issue with some of the updates. I am really frustrated and can't wait for my contract to be up to get decent carrier and a phone that works.

0 Likes
sidewinderx

VanessaS: I removed all of the task killer apps, all other apps that I don't really used, and uninstalled updates for the built-in apps I don't use. I tried both regular mode and safe mode. I tried with an aux cable, a standard pair of earbuds, and pair of earbuds with a microphone.

None of those combinations helped. I'll get through anywhere from 1 to 5 songs, then the phone with reboot. Without fail.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Cruzer2,

Wait! We would never want to see you leave. It's important to have a phone that works properly. I can certainly understand your frustration. Let's get this resolved. Which Google updates caused the device to no longer function properly? Do you have the device setup to automatically download updates? Keep me posted.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sidewinderx, thanks for trying all of our recommended steps. Where did you download this music from? Did you acquire this music from an application or from your personal PC? Some music applications will force  stop and cause your device to power off due to software issues. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes
sidewinderx

LasinaH: This is my personal music -- uploaded to Google Music via the PC app, then downloaded to my phone via Google Music, which is my preferred app to listen to music. I consistently have the issue when trying to listen through Google Music.

I have also tried listening to music via the Pandora app and the same thing happens.

I transferred some music to my phone via USB cable and tried to listen to that with Winamp (downloaded from the Google Play Store), and had the same problem.

Is there some diagnostic tool or log file that records these shut downs that I can provide to help shed more light?

0 Likes
sidewinderx

I tried to listen to music again today -- first with Google Play Music (didn't make it through one song before it rebooted the first time, then got through 1.5 songs the second time before rebooting).

I also transferred some more music via USB to the phone and tried to listen using a new (to me) music playing app, Cloudskipper Music Player. I got through 1 and a quarter songs before it rebooted. (This time was with no headphones or aux cable plugged in, just phone speakers)

It seems like there is something wrong with the core music-playing functionality of the phone, as it crosses all these different music playing apps.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the information, sidewinderx! Does it work okay while on YouTube? Is it strictly through the music applications? Have you tried to restore the device? Did you delete the application and install back?

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW

0 Likes
sidewinderx

Lena,

It seems to work ok with YouTube. It also worked ok while streaming a flash video using Dolphin Browser. It's just with music that it consistently fails.

I have removed the music applications and re-installed them -- that did not solve the problem.

I have not done a full device restore yet -- I was hoping to find a solution that worked without resorting to that. Is that the only thing left to try?

0 Likes