Droid Razr, Hotspot feature will not work, plus-- no drivers installed on phone for tethering...
nofuzzyfeeling

Bought Razr Dec 19th. I have spent countless hours with customer service and Motorola service. Hotspot on phone will not connect to anything. No answers so far. Motorola denies problem. Several postings around with same problem. Motorola said they will contact me if they find anything. No internet for laptop until then. Otherwise, phone is GREAT.

Phone has been swapped. This is the second one.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Razr, Hotspot feature will not work, plus-- no drivers installed on phone for tethering...
Wildman
Legend

Android devices usslly does not support the Tethering option if the device has the Hotspot feature...  What error are you having when you attempt to use the hotspot?   All you have to do is turn the hotspot on and connect the laptop like you would do to a wifi router.   

As for the tethering option this is a different setup than the hotspot...

0 Likes
Re: Droid Razr, Hotspot feature will not work, plus-- no drivers installed on phone for tethering...
easymon

Reference          these are some liks i got from motrorla tec. for tethering  usb. hot spot wont work on my razor eather it connects to commuter but just go s dormant or hangs we are in 3g  only.
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2007/11/setting-mtu-in-windows-vista.html
Ensure customer is on windows 7 and is connected via ethernet wired connection before proceeding.
Open a command line window as an Administrator (ie. right click on All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt and select Run as administrator) ...
Type the command netsh and wait for prompt
Type the command interface and wait for prompt
Type the command ipv4 and wait for prompt
Type the command set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1428 store=persistent

Work Around for Hotspot - Windows Vista

A workaround that you can try in the mean time is to tether your phone via USB. Please refer to the link below for more details.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/72955

0 Likes
pharmr2

Problem resolution; Be your own Systems Analyst!

4G LTE and the Droid Razr are BOTH Beta Releases

• Keep a log of issues and take pictures of error messages noting date and time; you may get to talk to someone who needs specifics and is actually looking for answers.
  • Record conversations with the help desk or a print out of the 'Chat Conversation'. Without either you are left with an explaination that you misunderstood; okay perhaps I did, but here is the print out of the conversation. "I'm sorry but that is not binding."
  • In the end you may need them to write your Congressman and Senator to give them accurate information to encourage better FCC oversight for customer protection to validate the report from the GAO (US Government Accountability Office from 2009).  It's already 2012; what has the FCC done to fix the problem?

My issues (3 phones later);

• Phone will not allow incoming calls. (I have not yet determined whether this is related to multitasking. memory management, or bad Verizon chip).
  • 4G and Wi-Fi signal indication that there is a strong signal on both (No Broadband Serivce Available).
  • Mobile Hotspot- The hardware does system verification that this feature is authorized by your plan each time you turn it on. Verizon has a problem keeping this authorized for unlimited data plans. That requires wasted time to call the help desk to do a manual reset  .

Tier 1 Basic Support (Helpful for simple problems but will assure you the hardware has been quite reliable.) (Wait a minute I'm calling from a land line; here's my phone number.... the call gets dropped and they call me back on the cell THAT I CAN'T ANSWER; but you have my office phone!!

Tier 2 Verify that after a hard reset and the problem isn't going away. Okay here's another phone.

Tier 3 Validate that you know that the answers is not always a new phone and the real answer is Beta Verizon. The next software patch will be mid February.

I can deal with Beta but tell people is't Beta, I like the hardware but give reasonable answers; DON'T PRETEND the problem doesn't exist by ignoring a reasonable post; give people a ticket number that can be followed up on when the same problem reoccurs. Keeping the Help Desk in the dark aggravates everyone.

0 Likes