Re: Droid RAZR keeps restarting
m524c

I have this issue as well.  System will just continuously reboot itself.  Your post confirms my belief that it is the VOLUME of apps that I have, not any specific app.  I have spent way more time on this than I should to prove this to myself.  I spent an entire day at one point loading apps 1 to 5 at a time... no problems.  Phone worked fine for a while... then the rebooting started.  It seems to be a memory allocation issue if I were to take a wild guess.

I have done MANY factory resets.  However, what I have found is that if you restart your phone numerous times it will eventually get to a solid state... may run for weeks before crashing again.  Motorola spent hours on the phone with me and even pushed a new version of the OS out to me... same problem though. 

Last time it happened I plugged it in.  Left it off for a few minutes then turned it on and came back to it about an hour later and all was good.... not sure there is any magic to that, but I am having trouble right now getting to a solid boot, so I may try it.

Good luck to all.  I am hoping that Ice Cream Sandwich comes out soon and solves the problem.

0 Likes
m524c

I doubt it is any one app from the Amazon app store... only the fact that you (like many of us) load a lot of apps when we use the Amazon app store... because we get a free app every day...

The volume seems to be the issue.  Not any singular app.  If you find a particular app that seems to fix this them please post ASAP. 

0 Likes
RocketPak
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's a disappointment because my Droid R2D2 handled all those apps just

fine.

0 Likes
m524c

Mine will take longer to reboot in Safe Mode.... but it will still reboot... I just have to keep trying to get it into a good configuration.

0 Likes
spurs21
Contributor - Level 1

Wow that's too bad, I had 200 apps on my Fascinate with no issues. Since I got the Maxx I didn't put all the apps on my phone that was on my last one, in fact I've only put 6 apps on the phone in addition to stock apps. Why would they put out a phone that can't handle a large volume of apps?

0 Likes
randas78
Enthusiast - Level 1

The memory allocation is a good thought.  I did have quite a few apps.  I had all of them on my OG Droid (which I rooted and flashed to Gingerbread 2.3.2 AND overclocked the kernels) it was no problem at all.  The tech line kept asking why I was moving the apps to the "Media Storage area" all I have to say to that is #1 the phone alerts you to do that and #2 WHAT do I need media storage internally for when it says in YOUR description that the removable sd card is for your media?!  The phone runs faster after you move your apps over and they don't start by themselves when they are moved so no draining your battery VERY necessary in the Droid Razr!  I thought I narrowed it down to either moving the apps over or plugging the phone in to the computer after moving the apps over.  Since I had NO Amazon anything on my phone I have to nix that idea...not the free apps and not the Amazon app itself.  Also I have all loaded on my Nexus plus some that I ditched while dealing with the Razr issues and IT is fine.  I am close to not holding my breath when it restarts too...close but not quite there yet. 

I have become glad that this issue happened with ME, not thee rest of you at all because it shoved me violently in to a phone that works better for me and just fits me better (the size and the balance of the Razr were wonky for me) I use my phone ALOT one handed and the Razr makes that close to impossible with my size hands.  (I am a female but have pretty big hands for that gender my grandfather called them farm girl hands, large and  capable hands)  but that Razr is top heavy big time and with the cords plugged in also it was almost impossible to use one handed...just saying the Nexus FITS me better all around.  So I am glad this popped my Droid bubble...I think it is CRAP that Verizon and Motorola refuse to acknowledge this issue when obviously it is not an individual one.  (FYI I had 150 apps on my Razr [business operations and toddler stuff PLUS teenager stuff'] I have a 3 yr old a 12 yr old and own/run a business) I now have 190 apps on my Nexus and it is going strong, I have had 0 issues.

0 Likes
m524c

They pretend not to know of the issue... but I think they do, and are researching its cause.  I just think it is elusive.  It does seem related to moving apps to the media area as well...

0 Likes
randas78
Enthusiast - Level 1

As someone who repairs computers (software and hardware both) I can understand how it could be elusive, it did prove to be far too elusive for myself which is why I tapped out and traded phones, with 2 kids an AD soldier hubby and running a business I must have reliability I cannot doubt the technology I depend on to keep my life smooth.  I hope they find the cause and  fix soon for the rest of you though!

0 Likes
m524c

I am glad to hear you like your Nexus.... I heard too much about their issues for me to want to try them... I just keep trying to figure out the Razr.

I am even more convinced that it is the number of apps that causes the problem, and I have completely ruled out Amazon (which Motorola tried to blame).

I did a factory reset.

I reinstalled using a new Google account (test account) so that there would be no settings imported that could cause the problem.

I downloaded most (excluding task killers, battery control apps and the like) of the apps from Play's first 11 pages (24 per page on my screen).   By my estimate this would be about 230+ apps. 

Amazon was never installed.

The constant rebooting started again....  This in NO WAY FILLED UP THE MEMORY on the Droid.  This device should be able to do this with its eyes closed.

In another test it appears it is the ANDROID SYSTEM that is crashing (per Watchdog) , not some third party app.

I guess I have to limit the number of apps I load until Motorola gets a clue and fixes this.... but then why have a device with all that power and memory????

0 Likes
heroaiden2009

Hi,

Well i have only had VZW for about a month and a half now. Bought the RAZR 16GB White and it keeps restarting aswell. Im on my 2nd replacement which I just received less than 5 hrs ago and its been restarting ever since I turned it on. When I try sending a picture, log onto Facebook, etc. I got off with CC not too long ago and he said that if this 3rd replacement doenst work out that they will switch the phone to something that does work and I am happy with. Ive been doing research on the samsung NEXUS and that thing looks B.E.A.S.T....especially with the new Ice Cream Sandwhich interface Im sure it will do way better and from the looks of customer reviews it does. I Love the RAZR but damn when you cant even send a pic or browse the web with out it starting makes it seems like if the RAM on the phone cant handle any multi tasks. So much for a Dual Core processor.........ill stay updated with what happens on Thursday when I receive the 3rd phone....

0 Likes