Droid RAZR Maxx HD Randomly Reboots
firstcause
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have had my phone for several months, its a Droid RAZR Maxx HD, stock verizon image.

System Version: 9.18.79.XT926

Android Version: 4.1.2

Kernel Version: 3.0.31-g101ca72

This phone has been randomly rebooting for months, I am an embedded systems engineer and so I've be trying things to try and figure out why this phone randomly reboots, without any luck.

This morning it rebooted after almost 8 days without rebooting, but it has never gone longer than this.

Also, since Verizon Stinks, and the Verizon Support Stinks, and their image makes it impossible to figure out whether these reboots are caused intentionally by a program or system component that is rebooting the system.

There is NO LOGGING of any kind that is useful, I have browsed the system folders and not been able to find anything useful, it may be there but I don't know.

Does anyone else have better information about logging?

Now, this rebooting issue could be caused by glitchy hardware or some bug in the kernel/android.

I got my wife the exact same phone when I got mine and hers DOES NOT have this issue, so as an engineer this fact is strong evidence that this issue is not being caused by software.

The random nature of the reboots suggest that hardware is at fault or that there is some "intelligent" agent triggering the reboots.

>Irrelevant comment deleted<

I have no way of knowing when different system components where updated because Verizon Stinks and they don't log what is changing in these "updates"

Anyone else seeing this?

>Minor editing and profanity word avoidance deleted<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator><

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid RAZR Maxx HD Randomly Reboots
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Vaboof,

Help is our middle name! Given the description of the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps you've already taken on, we may need to look into a replacement as long as you're under your one year manufacturer's warranty or have the extended warranty (stand alone feature or with total equipment coverage insurance). If this is the case, please accept my follow request, follow back, and DM your name, mobile number, and billing system password (or last four of your social if a password isn't present). Also, know you can dial 800-922-0204 for customer service, chat with our team via the "Contact Us" link on our website, or drop in store for help http://bit.ly/3SdsA .

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this firstcause! I agree, per the information provided this sounds as if this is a device issues. Have you ran the phone in safe mode here http://vz.to/19HdCrH in effort to identify if an application is the culprit? Have your completed a factory reset here http://vz.to/18IlSTy ? Please share. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
firstcause
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've done both of those procedures and I don't have time to do it again.

As an embedded software engineer the issue seems like it is random enough to be a hardware issue.

Also, I have two of these phones, my spouse has the exact same model and we do not see this issue happening on hers.

So, what else have you got in the way of a solution?

Vaboof

Same issue here, ever since 9.18.79.XT926.  Reboots anywere from 4 to 10 times per day.  Please address this and releast the next OTA update (9.20). This is maddening and is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth toward this device.

0 Likes
firstcause
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine will reboot on an interval that is anywhere from 1 day to as long as 7 days.

Over the last couple of days it has been locking up instead of rebooting.

The issue that I am having is not as severe as yours.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your efforts, firstcause. The next step would be to replace your phone. Is it still under the 12 month warranty? If not, do you have insurance? http://bit.ly/07CrqPK Please let me know and I can tell you how we can proceed. Thanks.

ChaunceyM_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for offering these details, Vaboof. Does the device reboot when using a certain app or process? Did this start after installing a certain app or update? I am eager to get to the bottom of this!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
oldesthippie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have the same phone, and have had multiple problems from day one, including rebooting, although not as often as yours.  I actually took it in to the local store within the two week period, when you are supposed to get your phone replaced if it isn't working correctly.  The young lady told me that she couldn't get it to do what I was telling her it was doing, which was that any time I speak on this phone, to this day, unless I put it on speaker, my face presses buttons and eventually cuts off the call!  In addition, my phone repeatedly blurts out, very loudly, over and over "Verizon Wireless,"  for no reason that I can find.  It drives me crazy!!  This phone also constantly simply drops calls in the middle of a conversation, even on speaker.  I won't bore you with the rest of the problems that I'm having with it, because it goes on and on.  I am not willing to accept a "refurbished" phone, and have called Motorola, who has offered to repair my phone if I will send it to them, but Verizon is so far not willing to loan me a phone while mine is being repaired.  I thought that I was realling upgrading from my Droid X, and now I'm very, very sad that I didn't just keep it.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try turning off the roaming tone to stop the "Verizon Wireless" sound.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

B33
Legend

As Ann pointed out check your Tones You can Turn them off if Needed.!  How things are set up Tone wise in this phone differs a bit from what you see in your Droid X but you can still turn certain things off Same goes with the Screen Features.. And if your having Connection issues you might try a Sim pull for 10 min. Phone off then re-install it see if that corrects the Issue if not get a New Sim.. b33