Droid Maxx apps constantly crashing lately - what's going on?
Riff22903
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the past week or so, my Droid Maxx apps are crashing all the time.  The one that really kills me is the Contacts app because so many other apps rely on it.  As far as I know there have been no ANdroid updates to this phone in a month or more.  And I haven't installed anything new to cause this.

I saw others complaining of the same thing in other threads.  What's going on?

Is it a Droid Maxx thing or an Android 4.4.4 KitKat thing?

Whatever is causing it, it's making the phone almost unusable at times and I'm sick of rebooting it.  Also, the Volume key is getting stuck in the loudest position at times too recently.  When my phone rings at work, it causes an issue sometimes.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Maxx apps constantly crashing lately - what's going on?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get your apps back to business, Riff22903! Can you confirm your current system version through Settings>About Phone? As multiple random apps are crashing I would suggest a wipe of the cache partition. Here is a link with instruction on the Droid Maxx: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-103580/
Please keep me updated as I would be happy to troubleshoot further if needed.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
Riff22903
Enthusiast - Level 2

System version is 24.3.7.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US

Does that help?

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Riff22903,

Thanks! That is exactly what we were looking for. Taking a look your device software would be up to date with what is currently available. How long has this been going on specifically? Were you able to attempt the Wipe Cache Partition as suggested above? Also, how frequently do the errors or crashes arise? We can also place the device in Safe Mode for a period of time to see if any third party software would be causing the issue. See how to place the device in Safe Mode here http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-83030/.

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupoort

0 Likes
Riff22903
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wiping Cache Partition now...rebooting

We'll see.

That's quite a process BTW...

0 Likes
Riff22903
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still on the "Erasing..." reboot screen.  Over 6 minutes now.

Instructions said it would take 60-90 seconds to reboot.

I'm getting concerned....what's going on?

0 Likes
Riff22903
Enthusiast - Level 2

Latest update:  Had to manually get phone to re-boot after sitting on the "Erasing Files..." screen for over 15 minutes.

Once re-booted, the Conatcs app crashed again - "Contacts has stopped" is the error message and your only option is to hit OK.  Why is it not asking me if I want to send an error report which usually happens when an app crashes or freezes?

Decided to try changing the default contacts shown in the Contacts app.  I then changed it to use Brewster contacts.  App did not crash or stop again for a few hours.  Then it started crashing again and now it's the default or most common behavior again.

Can any of the Vzw folks or other community users help or offer some advice?  I seem to be at a dead-end....

Thanks.

0 Likes