Droid MAXX will not connect to wifi
J_Matrix

Was using my MAXX over the weekend on my home wi fi. Browser froze, I closed and attempted to re open. No wi fi connection. Since then, I cannot connect to my home wi fi, my friend's home wi fi, and a relative's home wi fi. The signals will sporadically show up on my wi fi screen as available. When I attempt to connect, it will say 'connecting' for 1-2 seconds, then not connect. I have cleared all saved wi fi signals and re-entered passwords. I have done several power off/on cycles. I have removed SIM card and powered off/on. Phone is not in airplane mode, mobile hot spot is not turned on. Nothing seems to work. Right now I am completely dependent on Verizon data usage.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Droid MAXX will not connect to wifi
Tippecanoe

Driod Razor Maxx HD:

I have this SAME PROBLEM with WIFI from the kitkat upgrade. Wifi will not connect. It goes to 'disabled' or just blank status after authenticating. It even has an IP, but no connection.
I can get a connection right after a reboot, but as soon as I switch to another hotspot, it will not connect to that hotspot or any other including the 1st one. WIFI is effectively dead.

Some indicate turning off bluetooth might help. Mine was off the whole time.

Browsing the internet in several forums indicate this is very common for my phone, and even found the HTC One has the problem.

This *really* needs fixed ASAP.

And please don't tell me I don't know what I am doing, as I have worked in IT for many years.

0 Likes
Tippecanoe

Replying to my own post and I imagine, a zillion others with the WIFI problem.Update.....
On a hunch....
I noticed that on connect, I would get an IP (generally, might have to reconnect) but 4g verizon wireless is still active. Both cannot be active, wireless should turn off the 4g.
So I turned off 4g data manually.
Presto. Wireless is on.
Go figure. The app switching the two must be broken. Kitkat is NOT turning off the 4G data network so the wireless can work. I have tried this with only one AP at this point, but it worked and I have tried everything for hours.
So someone needs to get on this problem and fix the switch. For now, if this is the workaround, I will have to manually kill the 4G network rather often, and re-enable rather often.

0 Likes
J_Matrix

Thanks for the tip. I tried this and still nothing. Shut off both Bluetooth

and data usage and I still cannot connect to any WiFi. Next stop may be

talking to Motorola.

0 Likes
aztec1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I as many of you have been a victim of the KitKat update and its Wifi issues.  I will not spend time sharing my extreme disgust with verizon for not giving me the option not to update as when Jellybean was pushed out, my Moto MAXX Phone was wrecked with so many issues.Thanks to this forum you see you are not alone. I have spoken with 4 different verizon techs and two motorola techs and find it criminal that they were all seemingly unaware of this issue. After 4 hours of calls  spaninng 3 days and frustration,Although everyone in support was sorry and nice, no one could fix the problem.  I did get lucky with a supervisor that suggested that I try putting the phone into airplane mode for a minute and the switch back. Sure enough it then finds and connects to my router and wifi. the only problem is that it only lasts a few hours then drops the WiFI, but at least until a fix is sent to us, I can use my WiFi. I understand this is also happening to Samsung phones as well. They have tried all the time wasting tricks of sim card refresh, cache cleaning etc. i am glad that i did not do a reset. VERIZON, PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR CUSTOMERS AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM< INFORM YOUR TECHNICIANS AND SEND AN EMAIL TO US PROMISING TO WORK AS A TEAM TO RESOLVE THIS.ASAP . ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

cseminar

I have the same issue. Sometimes it connects to wi-fi on its own, but more often than not, I have to connect manually. I've turned off data because it eats up my battery. So basically, if I want to see any email/fb/twitter updates when I'm at home or work or wherever there is wi-fi, I have to go to QuickSettings>Wi-Fi and connect. And if I need data, I turn it on manually and have to remember to turn it off. It's a crappy solution. Let's hope Verizon fixes it soon. And yes, I saw another thread with the same issue on Samsung, that thread started last October!! (Wifi connection issues after update )

0 Likes
Autumn259

I'm also having the issue of not being able to connect with my WiFi with my Droid Maxx. I've tried all of the actions mentioned in this forum and still have the problem. I suspect the Kit Kat upgrade as well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see how this can be concerning for you all! If you try the phone in Safe Mode, does WiFi connect? http://vz.to/1fA9pZf

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

mrtaiko
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just started experiencing the no connect problem.  I tried rebooting to safe mode and still no connect.  Just for the heck of it I checked the phone's MAC address and it had changed.  I thought this address was burned to a chip????  Anyhow, since my router is configured with MAC filtering enabled I added the phone's new MAC address to my router's filter list and my connection is restored.

0 Likes
rpcola

Safe Mode does not change anything. I cannot connect to any network, even ones without security. I also cannot add/save new networks or modify any existing networks. In addition I cannot forget networks either. Basically it is impossible to access wi-fi.

0 Likes