Don't want to download email from server. How?
ricks99
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just upgrade from my Droid1 to a new Droid RAZR.

On my Droid1, when I checked my eemail, the messages were not downloaded to the phone. They remained on the server. Then, when I checked email from my PC, any messages that were in my Droid's inbox would automatically be removed (as they were downloaded to my PC). If I deleted a mail message from my Droid's inbox, the message would still be downloaded to my PC when I checked its email.

I want to configure the email on my new RAZR the same way, but I'm having problems. After downloading the email to my PC, the messages remain in my RAZR's inbox. I have to manually delete them Smiley Sad  What am I doing wrong?

My RAZR's email configuration is:

Incoming server

• POP mail server
  • Server, username, and password (all are correct)
  • Port: 110

My old Droid1 had a "Delete email from server: When I delete from Inbox" setting.

Outgoing server

• SMTP server
  • Server, username, and password
  • Port: 26
  • Authentication: LOGIN

My old Droid1 had a "Require sign-in" setting

Other settings

• Never delete messages
  • Remove manually deleted emails from the server (enabled)

My old Droid1 did not have this "Other settings" section.

Thanks!

-R

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Don't want to download email from server. How?
AZSALUKI
Legend

is this a gmail account? if so, then check this thread.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/200204-issues-syncing-email-between-phone-comput...

HOWEVER, if this is the solution you need, then please note that i suspect that the person it was successful for was talking about deleting the gmail "account" from the stock email app (they discuss deleting the actual app, but i believe he means the account in the app). if it's not a gmail account than i'm not sure. i can't find a solution anywhere????

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Sounds like the issue you have is because you have your desktop email client to delete the messages from the server when it is retrieved, this option would restrict the mobile device to this information because it receives the data from the server and not your desktop computer, which is where you emails are stored once you open the message on your desktop.

In order to correct this you need to set your desktop to not delete the messages from the server to allow the mobile device access to the data..  The only issue is I will have to know which email client you are using on your desktop to give you instructions to disable this option..

Are you using web base email client or Outlook?  What app are you using and the version of the software?

0 Likes
ricks99
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nope, this is not a Gmail account.

0 Likes
ricks99
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm using Outlook -- not a web-based email client. Note that I have not made any changes to my PC email settings. And in fact, my old Droid1 continues to work fine (on wi-fi). I simply want my new RAZR to behave in the same way.

This is what I want:

1. I'm out of the office and I get an email
  2. I can read & respond to it on my RAZR. The message remains in my INBOX unless deleted.
  3. When I get to the office, I check my email.
  4. The same message is downloaded into my PC desktop email INBOX
  5. The message is removed from my RAZR inbox.

Again, this worked perfectly on my Droid1, I just can't figure out what's different for my RAZR.

Thanks,

-R

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

You may want to try K9 email client from the market. I have heard of some users reporting a similar situation with the Razr and Razr Maxx..  You can give it a try for free from the market at .https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

0 Likes
ricks99
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't really want to change mail clients... just hoping my new RAZR could do what my old Droid1 did. 😞

I'm still looking for some sort of "Do not download messages-read them from the server" type option, but I'll take a look at K9.

Thanks,

-R

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Ok, I understand but from the information you have supplied, changing the auto delete option or trying another email client seems to be the best route...

Hope you find a solution soon...

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i agree up to #5.

if i get a pop3 email on the phone & don't delete it but look at the same email on my pc, deleting the email on the pc does not delete it from the phone inbox & must be deleted manually.

as i don't leave a copy of the email on the server using outlook express on the home pc, if i get email on the pc 1st, it won't go to the phone.

i don't delete from the server on the phone, so if i delete the email in the phone inbox, it still goes to the pc.

oh, btw, i do a manual fetch on the phone.

gmail does what you ask, email in the inbox is deleted when deleted from the gmail account on a pc.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Under Outlook / Tools / Accounts / Click Account / More Settings / Advance / Check "Leave a copy on Server" and "Delete from server when Deleted from "Deleted Items"

Bearone21 this should work for you also....

4-27-2012 1-45-46 PM.png

0 Likes