Re: Do not upg to Android 5.1 right now if you depend on your phone
Snn5
Legend

Most users cannot wait a few months as most updates that are pushed OTA will either download and/or install automatically at some point.  I have heard that some Samsung phones can avoid for longer based upon unique settings.

bdstx4
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon has NEVER forced a system update. All this will do is notify you that a system update is available. It cannot be automatically or even manually installed without you agreeing to it. Lets dispel this myth right now.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Okey dokey   I'll just speak from my experience, no one else's then.

0 Likes
bdstx4
Contributor - Level 1

And users can wait a few months for a OS update that works. It's done all the time and not just Android.

0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

bdstx4 posted...."Are you a Verizon employee Davidoo?

Respectfully"

Ha ha, that is a good one.  I am certainly not a VZW employee.  I just answered your post where you said the update fundamentally changed how you use the phone and I asked you to list some items you were talking about.

I also read some of your other posts since then, and I offer the following opinions.  I'm not sure why you are advising people to "wait" before installing the update.  Why?  Lollipop isn't going to change.  It is the Google devised OS for the phones.  Every update has changes.  Just because a few don't like it they are not going to change it.  Sure, there will be some bug fixes and there will be tweaks (possibly we will get 5.1.1 or 5.2 for the Turbo) but that could be months or never.  After all, it took 9 months to get this update.  Waiting isn't going to change anything.

I also disagree that you can't be forced to take the update.  I always take the update right away, but I know of others for a fact that kept postponing the update and after a while it was "forced" on them.  I don't know how long this is, whether it is 20 days, 30 days or whatever, but it will happen, maybe when you leave your phone unattended for a while or during the night, but the update will occur. 

Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

"Verizon has NEVER forced a system update. All this will do is notify you that a system update is available. It cannot be automatically or even manually installed without you agreeing to it. Lets dispel this myth right now."

This is absolutely incorrect.  Verizon can't have devices on their system running all kinds of different operating systems.  This would be a nightmare for their support people and systems.  You can "google" or "yahoo" search this and see there are a number of articles confirming you will be forced to update eventually.  I'm a member of the Android Central Forums as well as the Motorola Droid Turbo forums and this has been confirmed there several times.  The only way to avoid an update is to modify your phone in ways that are not allowed to be discussed on this forum. 

KellyArens
Contributor - Level 3

I couldn't agree with you more Davidoo.  Telling others to wait is not really the answer.  Actually it hurts things.  If there really are issues that can be fixed with another update, the more that get reported the better.  The other issue that was not mentioned is that with so many third part apps on android, there is no guarantee that your phone will completely work with any update.  This is especially true if you are using third party apps for email, texting, etc. I am not saying it will be a problem, just that there is no guarantee that any update will be completely compatible with apps on your phone. No matter how long you wait there might be problems and there will always be a learning curve.  If people don't like that then go by an iPhone.

Snn5
Legend

iPhone has it's share of issues as well.

bdstx4
Contributor - Level 1

As of 7-21-15 lots of replies here disagreeing with me. By Android enthusiast. Nothing wrong with waiting 2-3 months to install the update. You risk nothing.

All of these statements that VZ will force the update on you are not true.

And Davidoo I read your post as well, it is not like you have posted detailed guides is it on anything?. Anyone can join

various Android forums. That is not at all a resume of experience.

I recommend caution, these other people just say jump in, you will figure it out.

0 Likes
bdstx4
Contributor - Level 1

Could it be any clearer than this for people to wait 2 or 3 months?

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1&ct2=us%2F1_0_s_17_1_a&sa=t&usg=AFQjCNGA7Jzg3AvuDz9fFyR2JM0Tp75-...

It is MotoX and ATT, but it is still Android v5.1

These are instabilities in Android 5.1, not Motorola.

Research online why Motorola skipped from 5.0 to 5.1

0 Likes