Data Usage overage
akgregorace
Enthusiast - Level 2

For 12 years being a Verizon customer, along with our 4 children on our plan, never once had we went over data usage.  November 2014, our son used 6.28 GB.  In December he was upgraded his phone to a Droid Maxx.  January of 2015, his GB jumped to 22.59 GB (with an extra charge of $120.00) , Feb was 24.13 GB (with an extra charge of $150.00)   I have called numerous times to Verizon technical support, speaking with Jodi, Tereasa, Jake, Thomas, etc.  We have tried to troubleshoot, with technical support on the phone, as to why the Data usage jumped significantly.  No one seemed to have a solid answer.  We turned off WIFI connected to Verizon and used his WIFI here at home.  Now here is where there is a problem that they couldn't answer as to why:  My son works in a factory as a machine set-up operator, where a lot of days he wouldn't get but maybe a few 5-10 minute breaks a day.  (his father is his groupleader).   In December, my son finished academy and became a Police Officer as a 2nd job.  He would come home from work, eat, shower then head off to work 3 days a week and on weekends as a Police Officer in training.   My son was not able to use his phone on his training, unless it was a break.  When I talked to Verizon Technical Support, the only one who had an  answer that made a little sense was Thomas.  I told one of the technical people that I was considering, after this hassle, dropping Verizon because of this.  He said he understood and to do what I had to do.   No one offered me an reasonable explanation, nor could they help us, therefore, my son dropped our plan in February and went to Sprint, where he has been very satisfied.  Of course when he dropped our plan in early February, he had already went over his data within 8 days!!  So  if my husband and I used our phones for anything, we would get charged for extra date overage since our billing cycle didn't end till the end of February.  Since he dropped our plan, because he was tired of paying for overage for something he wasn't using,  Verizon charged us (he paid) a $350 contract cancelation fee.  I am beyond livid right now.   The least they could have done, since they couldn't find the problem or have the answers, was to at least offer some sort of compensation or credit to our bill.  I feel they have literally robbed us & our son, and I will be filing a complaint with Verizon & additional places.    I guess being wonderful Verizon customers doesn't payoff in any way.  As soon as our contract is up in 2016, we are finished with them. 

Labels (2)
Re: Data Usage overage
STommas31
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm going through the same thing! Can't through to speak with an actual human being because of their automated answering system! Still can't figure out why I'm going over every single month!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
akgregorace
     We most certainly appreciate the 12 years you and your family have been VZW customers. We understand your concerns about the data usage spike that was noticed once your son upgraded. We're sorry to hear your son has left and went with a different provider. It's important that we find a way to make sure your family doesn't have to worry about overages.
    How is the usage now since the line has been removed? As for the Early Termination fee, if the charge was $350.00 this means the phone was fairly new and the agreement to keep services for 2 years was not honored.
    We don't want you to feel as though you have to cancel services or experience a hassle when working with us. We can make sure you're on the best plan for your needs and figure out how the data is being used for the remaining lines. What plan do you have now?

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
akgregorace
Enthusiast - Level 2

Our contract ends in 2016 so we will wait to switch providers.  We have dropped to a 2GB @ $60.00 per person, my husband and I.  We had to pay overages for 3 months in a row, unacceptable.   There was no possible way for such a significant spike.  After hours of wait and talking on the phone all together to Verizon, I feel my time was completely wasted and at the end of the day, with absolutely NO resolution.  Like I said, all of a sudden there is that much overage?  Yes, he did terminate his line, 2 months after he received his new phone.  He had a new baby with medical issues, along with working 2 jobs, therefore it made no sense for him to stay with Verizon, as it was costing him too much for those 2 months alone, and hardly using his phone.   Not one person could pin point the problem as to why the extraordinary spike, as we spoke with numerous people.  Over $700 for a phone bill....unacceptable!!  Never in the past was this an issue, with all 4 of our children being on our plan for years.  He fulfilled his contract by paying the $350.00 termination fee.  Once our contract ends, we are done.    Very disappointed that since no one could offer an answer as to why the overage or troubleshoot our problem over the phone, not once did anyone offer any kind of credit.  When my son canceled towards the beginning of February, out of courtesy and our troubles, they didn't have to wait until February 28th to take him off.  Of course they wouldn't.  It meant more money for them since he had went over his date within 8 days so we were continued to be billed for any add'l data that my husband and I  used.    I have the Mini Droid on the Edge program, so I have to wait till my contract is up.  I refuse to pay any more than I have to.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

akgregorace

How much data is he using on Sprint?

When he upgraded his phone on a 2 year contract, just as you have done for years, the terms spelled out the early termination fee.  When you sign a contract, you must fulfill its terms.

SInce he paid $350 early termination fee, he must have upgraded his phone.  Probably from a 3G to 4 G phone.  A 4G phone will use more data than a 3G phone.  Typically 2.5 times as much.

its too late to look at his phone and sort out what the problem was. 

akgregorace
Enthusiast - Level 2

He said he uses approximately 6 GB on Sprint but they have unlimited data usage.  Yes, he was tied into a 2 year contract, due to the upgrade of his phone, therefore he paid the $350.00 for early termination fee.  It wasn't until AFTER he canceled, (due to not one rep being able to advise us as to why the significant jump in data usage) we then found out from Thomas @ Verizon that it would probably have been due to switching from Apple I4 to Droid Razor Maxx, which is much quicker. (per Thomas) We spent many hours with reps trying to figure out why the increase, to which no one had an answer.  It didn't appear, to any rep, that it may be he upgraded to a quicker phone. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

the increase in data would in some part be due to the upgrade to a 4G phone from the old 3G phone (2.5 times more data).   If your son was used to iPhone, he may not have known how to restrict background use and close apps to prevent them from running continuously over mobile data.

No one should have to go out of their way to inform you about early termination fees.  Every time you get a new phone and sign a new 2 year contract, you agree to stick it out for 2 years, or pay the early termination fee.  The contract is a legal document.  Once you sign it, it's up to you to know what is in it later on.  No excuses.

Since Sprint pays new customers ETF's and advertises they will do so, I'm sure your son knew he would have ETFs to payoff.  Just putting the words "2 years" and "contract" together should be enough to know you can't walk away without repercussions.

0 Likes
akgregorace
Enthusiast - Level 2

He didn't have a problem with the early termination fee, it was the overage charges?  He paid termination fee with no issues!  How is it that you could provide that information to me but Verizon Customer service could NOT.  When the spike in the data came in January, I called.  I called numerous times to find out what the problem was, from the beginning of January until February.  It is Technical support, they knew his previous phone, therefore it should have been a given once they were trying to troubleshoot on the phone with us.  AFTER my son canceled his contract, THOMAS, @ Verizon, was the only one who could give us this answer. (you went from xx GB to xxGB)   So are we supposed to keep calling and calling until we get lucky enough to find someone who could answer the question as to why the spike in data coverage?  NO....we shouldn't have to spend hours on the phone.  Our time & money is just as important to us as theirs is to them!   After 12 years of being a customer, you would think someone would say, "Hey, I apologize that Technical support couldn't troubleshoot your problem for our product.  We would like to offer you a credit for your troubles concerning your data overage charges".  Not asking for reimbursement for the Contract cancelation.  @

0 Likes