Cruising and data costs
KK4275
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am going on a 7 night cruise to St Thomas and St Martin.I always worry I am going to rack up a high bill accidentally.

If I turn my phone on,say in St Thomas,how do I prevent my apps from automatically updating?? Is there somewhere on the phone,I can click on manual updates or do I have to go to each app and select it??

If I want to check my email or go online for something,how much does that cost(I have unlimited data,but Im sure it costs when Im away)??

I found the costs for phone calls and texts,but I am mostly interested in data costs.

Thanks!!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Cruising and data costs
KK4275
Enthusiast - Level 2

One more thing.........

The Razor is new to me........do I put the Preferred Network Mode in:

Global

LTE/CDMA

GSM/UTS  

when traveling?

and do i have to check on global data roaming access?

i really have no clue when it comes to things like that

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

it can be expensive, use wi-fi for data & don't make any calls.

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/index.html

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi KK4275,

How exciting! A trip to St. Thomas and St. Martin sounds like so much fun, I hope you enjoy yourself. With that being said I can certainly understand your concern with avoiding a higher than expected bill due to international usage, and I am happy to assist in ensuring this doesnt happen.

When you connect from abroad, international data roaming charges might not be covered by your domestic plan and can add up quickly. For example, opening an email with a medium-sized attachment or downloading an average-sized application takes about 1 MB of data. While roaming outside North America, the cost would be over $20, based on pay-per-use international data rates of $0.02 per KB.

To avoid the pay-per-use international data rates Verizon does offer an 100MB $25 global data plan. This plan is completely optional so if you prefer pay-as-you-go data, here are some ways to reduce data charges:

•  Use Wi-Fi when available. Wi-Fi is available in many international  airports, hotels, and restaurants to browse the web or check email.
•  Turn data services “OFF” on your device. All devices will automatically search for updates. If that happens while you’re out of the country, you will incur global data roaming charges, so be sure to turn off data roaming in your device settings
•Steps to turn off data services (allow voice calls): Settings > Wireless and Networks > Mobile Networks > Select the Mobile Network check box to turn data connection On/Off

To get a specific breakdown of all international charges please visit Verizonwireless.com/global. In addition please feel free to contact our global support team at 800-711-8300.

Thank you in advance, I hope this information was helpful!

GeorgeP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

don't you turn off data services when you select wi-fi?

0 Likes